Hayes wire wheel fitment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hayes wire wheel fitment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 07:46 am:

I have just finished assembling the rear axle for my D&F roadster which will have Hayes wire wheels and floating rear axle bearings. This is the third time I have made this modification.

The PCD of the brake drum rivets influences the size of the bearing I can fit. The spiggot shown takes a rear wheel bearing from a late 60's Holden.To make the part as strong as possible,I need to make the hole through the spiggot as small as is practical. I cannot find my notes which detail the previous dimension used.

I would appreciate advice from those with some expertise on the likely running clearance needed.wheel spiggot

Spiggot in place showing application

Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Allan
Looks like lots of clearance to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

Les, I made the outer end where the bearing mounts
1 3/32", so the diameter is just .032" larger. I did have my first modification on my 1915 tourer gall up and lock the axle. It is not difficult to pull the spiggot and open it up a little more if needed, but it is easier to do at this stage if needed.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

Allan
The one that galled up, how much clearance did it have? I'm guessing that right now you only have about 1/8" of wall thickness on the "spigot".
The one that failed, how was the bearing? was it OK?
I have seen people wreck bearings by getting carried away on press fits. The rule I live by is this;
The ROTATING race gets a light press (maybe .002-.003 tight for what you are dealing with).
The NON ROTATING race should be a close slide fit (size on size to .002 loose)
Your experience may differ!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

Les, the one that galled was my first one. I opened up the internal diameter another 1/32", but can't find out what my starting point was. The bearing did not fail. The galling was between the axle and the spiggot.

In this application the bearing in the carrier bolted to the hub is a press fit of around .002" The wheel with attached carrier and bearing is a slide fit onto the spiggot. We are on the same page here.

This time I have opened up the clearance on the inner end of the spiggot, maintaining the maximum thickness on the outer end where the bearing slides on. I guess I will just have to suck it and see.

Thanks for your input, Les.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration