First time rebuilding a rear axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: First time rebuilding a rear axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Butler - West Chester, PA on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

I'm in the process of rebuilding the rear axle on my 26 Coupe. When I removed the inner bearing sleeve from the left housing, I noticed a ridge the thickness of the sleeve inside the housing. It appears the end of the bearing has worn into the axle housing tube approximately 1/16 inch. Is this something to be concerned about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

Check the bearing cage and replace sleeve with a new hardened one. Good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

Also beware that the new hardened sleeves tend to be a little thicker than the originals. When I rebuilt the rear end on my '26, I used Hyatts that 'miced' out at .498 and they were plenty tight going in. Definitely get the new inside oil seals like Chaffiin's sell. They work slick!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

I am happy Robert asked this question as I will be rebuilding the rear axle from my 1919 touring as soon as it gets warm enough.
The axle is already removed from the car and I will be taking it apart soon. Should I order new bearing sleeves, modern seals and thrust washers ahead of time or wait till I get a look inside. I am going to order the club axle book first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

William,open the differential case and start it draining. Then order your books ,etc. by the time they get here it should be through draining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

Smart move getting the book. You can buy the parts you know you need now, but you'll probably need to order more after you get the book and start measuring things. The neoprene seals are a good idea. So is a Fun Projects pinion bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Thanks Jack, it has been draining since last October, bet it didn't drain much at 20°below. I will order the book tomorrow. I am not sure of what to order for parts until I get it apart or should some things definitely be replaced without looking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

I didn't see Steve's response till after I posted the above. Slow typing, I guess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Butler - West Chester, PA on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Thanks for the responses Jack and Kevin. My rebuild started because of a broken torque tube. Probably a good thing because at that point I knew nothing about the problems with the babbitt washers, one of which was completely disintegrated in my rear. The ring and pinion were shot also. So, new ring and pinion, brass thrust washers to replace the babbitt, new bearing sleeves, neoprene seals and Fun Projects pinion bearing. Now I just have to put it back together

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:51 am:

Robert, remember to fit the new bronze thrust washers carefully. They will likely need to be sanded (?) down a smidge. And, don't forget to order the little paper spacer that goes between the axle ends.

When putting the axle halves back together I used Right Stuff and have had no leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:58 am:

If you're as slow as I am, Right Stuff is the wrong stuff. Sets up too fast to suit me. Good old Permatex #2 that's been around forever works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson---SW Wisconsin on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

Steve, Come on now, admit it, it's the price of it that makes you dislike it. (The Right Stuff) I use it daily in my "modern" repair shop and it has never let me down. But it's whatever a person is used too. My Grandpa used to say "to each their own as the farmer kissed the cow"

The rear end is my next project in my coupe. I can already feel the worms wanting to get out of the can!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration