Wgat's going on?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wgat's going on?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 10:38 pm:

My speedster is back together with its new reground EE Ford crankshaft, and it goes well. But it is hard to start.
Something has changed but I cannot figure out what it is. When engaging the crank handle the dog clicks in at 9.00 o'clock and the beast needs to be cranked over to 1.00 o'clock to get it over compression. This is not a good situation in which to be. It is very easy to get a kickback when cranking.
I removed the crank handle, and with plenty of heat, twisted it counter clockwise approx 2.00 o'clock and re installed it. Now the dog engages at around 7.00 o'clock and she fires up at 11.00 o'clock, altogether a much more satisfactory and safer situation.
I cannot put my finger on the cause/variation. I had welded a new section of 3/4" rod onto the handle when I first built the motor, but was careful to get the orientation of the dog pin hole correct, as checked against an original handle this time. Prior to the replacement crankshaft, the dog engaged at 7.00 o'clock. All I can come up with is the lower pulley pin hole through the crankshaft has been re-orientated. Has anyone come across this before?

In puzzlement?
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 10:26 am:

Check the orientation of the crankshaft pin, like this:

When the pin is horizontal 2 of the pistons should be at TDC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 10:41 am:

I had never heard of this. Can anyone confirm its accuracy?

I believe I used the TDC method in the MTFCA book for timing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 10:48 am:

This:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/429367.html?1394578330

Or this

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/358759.html?1367436088

May help

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration