OT, what was the last year that Ford made coupes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT, what was the last year that Ford made coupes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 10:43 am:

I know they made them in '48, but what about after that?
What about Mercurys?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Ken, I just googled Ford Coupe and got a Ford Taunus Coupe 1972.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:11 am:

Define "coupe". Is it a coupe only if it has one seat or is it a coupe if it has 2 doors but includes a back seat?

(Sorry, but I really don't know....)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:13 am:

Mustangs are still called coupes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:34 am:

If you're talking about a coupe in the classic sense, a std chassis Ford with a shorter roof and a single seat, then the next generation 1949-51 also had them:

1951 coupe

Mercury stopped in '48, I think. Their '49 -'51 coupes were great lookers even with a long roof. (Stock roof height '49-'51 Mercs must be getting hard to find?)
After that I think maybe you could have what was called buissness coupes without a rear seat, at least Chexxy had them in '55, but then you got the standard length sedan roof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:40 am:

I was thinking about after '48, like '49.........'55, '60 etc. Not the more modern stuff.

"Define "coupe". Is it a coupe only if it has one seat or is it a coupe if it has 2 doors but includes a back seat?"

Methinks it could be either, depending on the manufacturers designation. Like a Model T coupe only has a single seat but a '40 Ford coupe may have only a front seat (business coupe) or both a front and a back seat. Same body, just the way it was outfitted at the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:43 am:

Roger, neat picture. That's what I was talking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Roger,
That's why I asked. Our first family car purchased new was a '51 Ford like the one in your photo. The following year my grandfather purchased a new '52 Ford Crown Victoria. It was the new body style but it also was a coupe (2 door with a back seat) like our '51. I don't remember if the '52 had a shorter roof, but it did have the "crown" trim piece over the rear part of the roof. Powder blue with a cream top. Sure was pretty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

The last short roof Ford coupe was 1954.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Henry, probably a misprint, but the Crown Victoria with the crown over the roof were 55,56 models.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

Dan,

I've read and heard that too. However, I'm 100% certain I clearly remember my grandfathers car. As I said, powder blue with a cream top and the crown moulding over the roof. Also, the emblems labeled it a "Crown Victoria".

The reason I so clearly remember it is because in fall 1964 (I was 15) my grandfather came by our house driving it. He announced he was on his way to buy a new car and he wanted to give me the Crown Vic. It didn't have a scratch on it, the upholstery was perfect and it had less than 40,000 miles on the odometer.

My parents said, "No! He's too young to have a car." I begged them, promising to put it on blocks or whatever it took. They wouldn't budge, so off he went and traded it in on a new (demonstrator) 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente. They gave him $100 for it..

That was over 50 years ago and I still get mad.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 06:16 pm:

Henry,
I attached two pictures. One showing the 1955 Crown Victoria, the other is a 1952 Ford Victoria. Maybe seeing the pictures will jog your memory. Which ever year it was it is to bad you didn't end up with it. Must have been very disappointing at the time. $100.00 must have been the trade-in for back then. I was driving a 55 Ford when I ordered my new 65 Hi-Po Mustang. The Mustang listed for $3200, and they offered me a 100.00 trade in for my 55. I told them forget it. I talked them down 400.00 off list price with no trade. Still have both cars today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

By '57, the hardtops were called "Victoria" and the ones with the post were "Sedans." This goes for both 2-and 4-door models. None of them was labelled "Coupe."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

Dan - A couple a' sweet rides for sure! As beautiful as that '55 is, I really, really like that '52! I see the V8 emblem on the side, but just tell me it has overdrive too! A sweet running flattie with overdrive, in any tudor Ford or Mercury between '49 and '53 (the last flathead) is to me the very last of all of my favorite Fords. (and "Mercs"). You've sure got some beauties Dan,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

Dan,
It was definitely a '52. Maybe it was a "Victoria". My memory tells me it had the crown trim, but heck, I can hardly remember where I keep my underwear any more. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

The "Crown" trim was only in '55 & '56. The two-door hardtops were called "Victorias" from '51 thru the late 50's. (Don't remember when they discontinued that name.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Harold, I certainly agree with what you are saying. Although the pics of the 55 and 52, are not my cars. I do have a Merc collection which includes a 51 convertible,53 Merc convertble and hardtop (which do have the overdrives)and a 54 Hardtop and more. I also have a 56 Merc 2dr Hardtop, that was overdrive from the factory. I have the paperwork from when the car was new, and unfortunately the guy that bought it new didn't want the overdrive. The dealer took it out and credited him 75.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

Oops! Knowing that you and Ellen have quite a "fleet" and I just "assumed" that those were two of yours,.....and you know what they say about the word assume! Hey, howcome you guys aren't on your way down to Chickasha? I can't make it this year, but I assumed (there I go again) that you folks go EVERY year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

Some of us are close enough that we can leave Wed. morning and be there right after lunch. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Harold- We have only gone to Chickasha twice. As the only plane I will fly in is a Ford Tri Motor, so I have to drive to get there, and it is a long drive. I really enjoyed going to the meet, but I find a lot more T stuff at Hershey and that is a lot closer. The good thing about Chickasha is it is mostly T parts. The bad thing about Hershey is it is so huge you really have to do a lot of walking to see all the T parts. We wont say we wont go again because Ellen has family in Mo and that makes part of the trip.
Mike- you're lucky you live that close. If I lived that close I sure would be there every year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Dan - Yeah, a long drive from NY for sure! It's a "long haul" from the Seattle area too! The one thing that I have considered tho' is that if I have to skip a year at Chickasha, and I have so much going on that I really do have to skip it this year, this might prove to be the right year to skip. Not only have I been lucky "weatherwise" for the three Chickasha Swap Meets that I HAVE gone to (and how many times can that happen?) but I really didn't like the sound of the parking and line-up area this year what with the "construction" and all. Frankly, set-up day is as fun, productive and important to me as the actual two days of the meet! And I hope for the sake of the folks down there this year, that it goes well (???) however,......it might make for interesting reading on the forum when everybody gets back home this year!

Ken Todd - Sorry to have kinda' cluttered up your thread with "chit-chat", but I think your "coupe question" has been pretty well covered,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 08:01 am:

Harold, looking at both pics,they are both automatics. See the park position of both shift levers, to bad, I agree with you, stick with overdrive would be a lot more desirable.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration