Ross steering; Did Ross even make a '25 and older version???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ross steering; Did Ross even make a '25 and older version???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Well the subject line says it all. I just received some excellent pictures of another original Ross steering box. Turns out it is a "26-7 version as well. The housing casting is different from mine, only in that it says " 26 " and has ROSS in big block letters on it. Both have the same part numbers cast on them.
So has anybody ever seen a original designed for the '25 and earlier car???
I could invent something, but I would much rather make it look "era correct" by copying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

Les, a customer of mine, I don't recall his name, drove his T into our shop the other day. It was a 25 or earlier T and had a Ross steering gear in it. I didn't notice if it was adapted or not. I am fairly confident that it was not. I will try to recall who it was and see if I can get him to let me study it a little better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

Les, my mind is playing tricks on me. I somehow am now thinking it may have been a Sprague box. Did Sprague make a T box? Sorry, this is probably no help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

Here's a thread with pictures of a '23 Centerdoor with a Sprague accessory box:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/265177.html?1328678201

Here's how Sprague locked the standard planetary box to 1:1:

sprague

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

Ross patent date looks like 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

Guys
Thank you for the replies.
Yes Sprague made a steering box for the T. I really don't want to start over with a different design, as I am sure that Ross kept all the same internals and pitman arm .and even the casting that holds the sector I will bet is identical
Mike YES YES!! I think that is what I am looking for!! The "logo" and markings are different than the '26-7 version.
Can you post some other pictures from the other sides, just to confirm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Roger
That is a interesting concept that Sprague used, and is well worth considering. Ross supplied the steering column shaft as one piece. This makes shipping get really awkward and expensive. If I could just supply the box with a short shaft and a connector (probably consider a U joint even) and then the "locking device" like Sprague used it would certainly simplify shipping. Yes the purchaser would have to shorten the old T shaft and put a keyway in it, but as most T steering shafts are worn out below this point that shouldn't be a big hardship. A definite possibility!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

Roger
Thank you for posting the link to the other thread. The Sprague shows two different "braces". Ralph of course added a brace to his conversion of a '37 Ford steering box.
Ross ignored this and I have pondered this. Today I was making a drilling fixture for the mounting holes and I observed that the holes are not in the exact locations that Ford used. I just realized that the hole spacing that Ross used would permit the use of a stiffening "channel" (or perhaps angle) made of 1/8" that could significantly strengthen the torsional abilities of the T frame channel rail.
I wonder if anyone can confirm my guess. If the box was removed it might quite easily have been lost/discarded

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

Les

If anyone would know the avnswer, that would be Larry Sigworth and I have a call into him. Let you know the answer ASAP. Larry has a very large collection of early speed equipment adverts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

Mike
The more I think about, the idea that Ross supplied a bolt in "box section" stiffener for the T frame channel makes so much sense when I consider the about 1/8" offset that the bolt holes have. I can see them using the hood shelf bolts etc for attachment points.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

I took a quick look through of the set of 3 Model T accessories books. I did find one illustration of the Ross unit, it shows the early type fan bracket but no date. Because it is an illustration might not be of any help, we know about illustrations, sometimes they are are correct, others not so much.
Mikes photo might be of some help but by Dec 29, 1925 the new Ford had been in production 3 months.
The copy of the reprint of the Model T Ford Owners' Supply Book only shows the Sprague.
Other places to look would be The Ford Dealer monthly and Chiltons from the era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

Roger
That Sprague locking plate would be easy (and cheap) to get made using "water jet". EDM accuracy would not be needed. I'm really starting to like the idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

The Ross box in the photo is not mine., I think the photo came from a past Ebay auction. Here's a few more photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 05:06 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Mike, You Rock!!! Glad you had these photos to share here!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

Mike
Thank you for posting the pictures. That is obviously the early version. From this I could make a pattern that would be a reasonable copy. I suppose this is the one that sold for $2,300.00 back in 2012!!
The sleeve coupling is interesting. I just realized what the purpose of the grooves by the set screws is. It is to retain/secure the lock wire for each set screw. So now I have seen 3 of these. 2 of them have a short shaft and 1 had a long shaft. I like the short shaft/coupling idea to significantly reduce the shipping cost. As most old T steering shafts are worn out at the bottom, cutting them off and add a keyway wastes no material

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration