Aluminum body 1909 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Aluminum body 1909 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

I was reading in the past issue of Vintage Ford magazine that the all aluminum body is very rare.
This was from a reprint of Vintage Ford volume #1, number #1.
Is this cause less was known and less research had been done or are the all aluminum bodies still considered very rare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

My Aug 09 is aluminum FWIW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

Willie,

Beaudett (also spelled Beaduette) and referred to as Pontiac in the Ford USA documents produced the aluminum skinned bodies. If you look at the production information on pages 480-484 of Bruce McCalley's (R.I.P.) book "Model T Ford" they are listed as original equipment from Mar 31, 1909 to Sep 10 or so 1909 [and perhaps a wider range -- I didn't spend a lot of time looking]. Note Beaudett produced both the wooden body as well as the aluminum covered body during that same time period. And of course with the scrap drives during WWII -- they needed aluminum. But quite a few were produced along with the more plentiful wooden bodied 1909-10 Ford tourings that were produced for a longer period of time including the months the aluminum ones were produced.

So were fewer of them produced -- yes. But I strongly suspect there are more of them than 1909 Coupes or towncars etc. #4888 featured in From Here to Obscurity is also an aluminum bodied touring.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Thanks Hap
I was just reading my last issue of Vintage Ford that had the old article saying the all Aluminum body was very rare.
I still have a 1909 Wide Track touring collecting dust in one of my barns. Maybe I should move it up higher on the restore list. I think I have all the parts to replace the few incorrect parts on the car.
Willie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 07:52 am:

Willie,

I love the Calvin & Hobbs cartoon where the first frame shows Calvin saying, "I know God put me here on this earth for a purpose." And the next frame Calvin is saying, "And right now I'm so far behind I'll never die."

Sometimes it is hard to figure out which project should be the top priority.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 10:19 am:

If I had an '09 gathering dust in one of my barns, I don't think there'd be much question about what's on the top of my priority list. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Wightman on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Aluminum was quite expensive back then, much more expensive than it is now. I also understand that Ford had problems with the 1909 aluminum bodies, as the aluminum was somewhat hard work.

Coincidentally, I just saw last week that the 2015 aluminum bodied Ford F150s that they're coming out with have now been delayed in production problems with fabricating the aluminum parts. Aluminum won't stretch like steel will.

It's sort of funny that Ford abandoned the idea of aluminum bodies in 1909, and here we are again, almost 110 years later, and Ford is still having problems fabricating an aluminum body. If you don't learn from your mistakes, you will just repeat them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration