Axle Problem. Ideas Needed.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Axle Problem. Ideas Needed.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

I was pulling the rear axle hubs on my '26 Roadster to inspect the brake linings and bearings today. The left side came out easy, the right bearing will not come out. It will move in and out freely for about 1/8" and the cage will not rotate. I also noticed a rub on the drum and actuator support. Any ideas? Thanks, PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

I've had similar troubles. Generally, the bearing/cage has worn into the sleeve and axle shaft. When you attempt to pull out the bearing it is getting caught on either or both the axle shaft or sleeve. Make yourself a couple of hooks out of wire, small welding rod wire works pretty good. Bend them so you have a handle or use a pair of vice grips to hold them. On the other end fashion a hook. work the wire into the bearing and catch it on the cage and yank for all your worth. Eventually the bearing will pop out, but sometimes a little extra vocabulary is needed. The rub on the hub could mean that your thrust washers are bad. Take a good look once you have the bearings out. See if there is extra play, in and out on the axle shafts. Good Luck, Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 03:36 pm:

Did you try rotating the axle while pulling on the bearing with a hook? That may work it loose. I wonder if the sleeve is so worn that the bearing is catching on the unworn outer end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

Measure from floor up to bottom of axle,cut a board slightly longer and wedge the axle up.Then your hook in the cage of bearing should pull it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

Well I got the bearing out. I was able to get two small screwdrivers in and pry the bearing out far enough to get a slide hammer with a special ground tip to fit the cage. It was tight to the very end. It looks like the housing is bent. It has a bronze thrust washer with very little end play. I can feel a very small ridge worn in the top rear of the sleeve. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Also be sure to check the axle shaft for a groove or excess wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

Either the axle or the housing is bent, maybe both. You need to take the whole assembly apart and check it out.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

For me i would tear it down could be the inner bearing is bad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

It's draining tonight. I'll pull it down in the morning. I did see a lot of very small bronze flecks in the oil. Things were under serious stress in there. More to come. Thanks all for the input. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

Got it pulled down, it's the axle housing. All the internals check out good. I'm going to put these internals onto a good spare housing with new seals and thrust washers. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

I'm unable to see the rest of the differential in your last photo but from what I can see you may have a major misalignment issue as the axle shaft isn't anywhere near the centre of the tube

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 11:52 pm:

Alan, yes the axle tube is bent. When I put the carrier and axles in the other housings everything is centered and rotates free.

Does anyone have a method of tightening up the cages in the Hyatt bearings? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 12:22 am:

Pat, set them on a solid straight surface, and peen them till tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 12:26 am:

Thanks John, I'll give it a shot. PK

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration