Got Gas? (Acetylene)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Got Gas? (Acetylene)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

I am learning and exploring this 'new' world of Model T's. I have a 13 Touring with an original Acetylene Generator. To purchase calcium carbide, I was told to go to eBay. The price for a one pound can was $49.95! A friend of mine suggested the HQCOMPANY. Their website is hqcompany.com and the price for a one pound can is $12.99. As a side note... I am not connected with the company or a survivalist, I just expect my T to last another 100 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

Generally the gross weight of the package is 1#, so you actually get a little less, but it's close.

I have a new 10# that's still unopened (gallon can) if anyone is interested. I can take it to Bakersfield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

I bought a quart sized can 4-5 years ago for $15. I got it for a miner's lamp, just to see how it worked. I occasionally fire it up to show folks and sometimes just to amuse myself. Does that make me strange?:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

I bought ten pounds at Karst Sports back in 2005 for $85. I sold four one pound cans at swap meets for $35 each.

http://www.karstsports.com/mingradcalca.html#.VQdAGmco6Uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

Michael,

Welcome to gas lights. I assume you have a generator like this one. I believe this is a Victor but none of them seem to be marked.

They came with an instruction sheet printed in two colors stuck inside the basket. You probably already know how to load and set the generator but it may help someone else to get theirs going.

I have a generator like the one above but I use a Prest-O-Lite B tank (I'm lazy). Almost drove the car this morning but it was misty.

You are a lot easier to be seen by other drivers when you have the kerosene lamps going too.

Ken in Texas

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration