8 volt auto battery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 8 volt auto battery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

I have access to a free, free is good, 8 volt auto battery. Would using it be harmful to standard "electrics" in a stock 23 Touring, such as the starter, coils, gen, lights etc?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

I,ve been running a 8volt for years, change nothing, not even the gen cut out, even though you can buy 8v ones, never had any problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

* volts won't hurt anything, in fact you can set the third brush in the generator to charge at a higher rate than stock to help keep the 8 volts, charged, but check the rate and don't over do it, if that is possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

My car came with a 8 volt battery 6 years ago.
Bought a 6 volt regulator from Fun Projects a couple of years ago for when the 8 volt dies but it just keeps on going, the only issue I had was when I put a brake light on the car it blew the 6 volt bulb right away so I put a 12 volt one in it and it works just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

12V bulbs are not very bright when powered by 9.3V which is what you need to have to keep an 8V battery fully charged so that it does not fail prematurely. Any lead acid battery needs to be kept well charged to prevent it from sulfating and thus becoming unusable. There is no such thing as a universal bulb that will give good briteness yet not be harmed by over voltage. Bulb life is quickly reduced if you increase the applied voltage beyond its single design voltage. There are some bulbs that are marked 6-8 and people buy them thinking they will work fine at both voltages - they don't. They are either dim at 6V or die quickly at 8V Skip the 8V swap of the battery since it a whole lot of trouble with very little payback. The price of FREE is not free if you start to wreck bulbs and overheat things.

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

The 8 volt battery is a bandage to cover up a problem. If something isn't working on 6 volts, I'd fix that and leave the bandage on the shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

Steve, which would you rather have, more Model T's and more money, or less Model T's and less money? Sometimes less is better, and sometimes, its not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

I run an 8 volt with no bulb problems. Starts easier, runs on battery better at idle better and does not hurt the started. Car has been rewired and has new correct battery cables. I do not have any hidden problems. Ran the car 500 miles last week with no problems on the Winter Tour in Florida.
Moving the 3rd brush only adjusts amp out put not voltage.
I have 4 model T's. 1 on 6 volts, 1 0n 8 volts, and 2 on 12 volts.
The starters work do fine on 12 volts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 09:12 am:

If you have a problem with lights blowing you could use these
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-inte nsity-19-led/156/
they are expensive but last a long time you would need to run an 1157 socket (late model 12 volt) rated at 9-14 volts brake and tail light. The good part is that being led they take a lot less amperage so are easier on the old cloth wires.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration