Which wheels do I want?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Which wheels do I want?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

With my 30 x 3 front wheels considerably less than wonderful, I plan to gather up some correct hubs and other hardware and have some new wheels made up. I gather the wheels from the three manufacturers were identical, so that leaves me with just one picky little aesthetic detail to decide. Do I want the joining plates to be Hayes, Kelsy, or Pruden? Which one would you pick, and why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

Hmm, why not "Jelf"??? You'd have to stamp some blank plates with the "J".
I know, not authentic, but just think how it will confound the "experts" in twenty years!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Why not H for Hayes. They started in the wheel business in 1908 too.

Hayes, Kelsey and Prudden

Kelsey-Hayes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

What about Motor Wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

They should match the hubs.

H in a circle for Hayes. 1915 hubs are very easy to spot, they are machined for the Ford Special speedometer gear and have the skinny lip on the hubcap side. All have a maker's cartouche on the hubcap side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

Excellent! I hadn't thought of the maker's mark on the hub. I happen to have some of the machined Hayes hubs, so Hayes it will be.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration