Guardian Fatman Steering Wheel - photo needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Guardian Fatman Steering Wheel - photo needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Does anyone have a photo of a complete Guardian Fatman Steering Wheel so I can see what the center cap and horn button look like? I've attached photos of the wheel I am talking about. It's a guess that the center cap for the button is made of potmetal or some alloy like the spokes and that I'll have to get it fabricated due to my inability to find one. Thanks for any assistance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Sorry to misplace on the classified page - will know better next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

William,

I have one on my touring that has been on it most of it's life.
I can get a couple photos for you tomorrow. I don't have the horn button working on mine but they are nice wheels. Big, lock and fat man. Do you have the collar with the bearings that goes over the steering gear case?

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 02:10 am:

Is it a "fatman" wheel? Or is it a "locking/unlocking anti-theft" wheel?
Responders may need to know for you to get the answers you are looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 04:14 am:

These are from a 2005 forum thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/34585.html?1188045044

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 06:23 am:

Actually, it's both it locks and tilts.

Rob,

The one you posted is similar but a different model I don't think it tilts.

The center with horn button is the same and collar on the steering gear case looks the same.

The spider is aluminium and polishes up nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Thanks for all the info - it does lock and tilt. However, I got a key cut for it - it fits but won't trip the tumblers or it is frozen up some to which I'll have to apply some CLP to loosen it up or else try another approach. There is a spring loaded flat ended pin in the side of the center section of the wheel - it is visible in the close up picture I attached. Does anyone know what that spring loaded pin is for? Thanks - Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

Larry - I forgot to reply . . . I do not know if I have the collar with the bearings that goes over the steering gear case. I pulled the steering wheel off of the steering column from a '27 Tudor that is in another state (I'll get the rest of the car down here eventually!!). Prior to pulling it, this was a functional setup. I'll have to inspect and take a picture of the top of the steering column so you can derive an answer.

I've attached a picture of the back of the steering wheel if that helps to answer your question - Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

Bill,

Here are some photos.
I have one of my wheel on the car.
And the center piece and its underside.

The collar is under the wheel with a ball bearing race that runs under the wheel and the collar goes over the standard Ford steering gear case.

steering wheel

Hope this helps.
As you may know when you turn the key the wheel just spins on the shaft and the "trigger" in your last photo is what releases the wheel to tilt up.

Let me know if you need more info. I have not seen many of this type over the years.

I may have to post a couple of times for different photos.
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

Here is another photo.
wheel

and the center
center

And the underside of the center piece.

underside

And a side shot.
side

Last one, hope they were some help.
Wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

Larry - thanks much. Next time I see the car, I'll take a look at the column for the collar and ball bearing race. I do know the standard Ford steering gear case is there. Nice photo of the center cap - now I know what to look for in a parts bin at a swap meet. Thanks That wheel of yours looks great. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Bill,

That wheel was on the car from what I know all its life. I bought her in "77. It had been sitting in the field since "47. The man I bought her from was second owner, the nephew of the original owner. He had the good sense to take the wooden rim off and store it in the shed. The aluminium spider was pretty corroded but polished up nicely.

If I find a center I let you know.
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

They all look like really nice accessory wheels! I have never looked at one like it up close, so I can't be any real help at all. I especially like the look of that center piece. It does make me wonder about the center for one of the wheels I have had for a long time.
And thank you for the added photo of the underside. It helps.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

Larry - Thanks. Now that you sent those great photos I am more motivated to find the proper center piece than to have one spun out of aluminum. If you do find one - I'll definitely put it to good use on the car that's been in my family since 1950 or so to, which I am now the caretaker. Bill

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration