O/T - 72, 73or 74 Ranchero owners- l need a bit of advise.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: O/T - 72, 73or 74 Ranchero owners- l need a bit of advise.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

I have a 72 Ranchero GT, which l am half way thru a resto on, but while the dash is apart, l'd like to check the vent vacuums to see which is and which is not working.
This brings me to the point ....
which wires do l need to cross to be able to fire up the engine with the instrument gauges removed to see to vacuum motors clearly??
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

PS - if you know the am/fm/8 track radio wiring colors and their Id,that would help too.
black - seems to be an earth for the speakers ???
orange - left front speaker +
white - right front speaker +
Pink/s - my guess is L and R + rear speakers ???

I will add a couple of pics to assist.

cheers
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

I wish I had a way to copy it as I have a factory diagram book of the Fords and Lincolns of 1974.
1 of the wires is the dial light that only comes on when the headlights are on.

I guess I could mail the big pages to you and let you copy them and send them back. I think the book has vacuam and wiring. it is factory ford.I will try to look in the next day or 2 and make sure I have ranchero. But Torino should be the same I think

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

wiring pics.

MAIN LOOM TO INSTRUMENTS

FOUR PLUS ONE RADIO/SPEAKER LOOM

OTHER END OF ( NO CONNECTOR) RADIO SPEAKER LOOM

Unfortunately l have found lots of joined in wires too.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

G'day Mack, Yes Torino and Ranchero are the same the front half of the car.

Yes the second set of two wires are apparently both power wires, one for the dash back light and *** not sure with this one power for the radio***.
The radio uses the shell/chassis as its earth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

I have this useless color schematic, if its the one you are looking for.
The radio is in the top left corner - INCOMPLETED.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 06:39 am:

OH man! When I was a kid my dad had a 1971 Ranchero. It had been repainted a metallic silver. My first real trip to the junk yard with my dad was hunting for a good grill to that Ranchero. We'd been walking for what seemed eternity and actually seen 2 or 3 '71 Rancheros (you'd be hard pressed to find one today) and finally I saw one back behind a couple other cars. It took me a second to convince my dad to go look (I was maybe 6 or 7) but sure enough!

LOL that '71 is an UGLY, ugly vehicle. But if I ever have the money and happen upon one I will just have to have it. I grew up a gearhead, but that Ranchero is first real vehicle I ever got to help work on. I HATED the seatbelts. They were the lap belt kind that you pulled out and once they started retracting you had to unbuckle and let it all the way back in so you could pull it out far enough again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 07:11 am:

Seth, l had the same seat belts, you need three arms to get the lap and the sash sections to fit before it all tightened and retracted past the fit point.
Modern seatbelts now in the same position, heaps easier to work.
GOT THE WIRING CORRECT for this car, seems l'm not alone in the world of where does this bloody wire go to etc. etc. in a Ford.
That standard schematic isn't worth the paper its written on either.
A 72 Ranchero shouldn't be all that complicated.............. should it!
Removing the trim from around the back - there's an ordeal until you you tube it.
Its slowly coming to what l wanted when l purchased it.

Now for the B&M hammer installation.....................

Hopefully my wife leaves some rubber on those brand new Radial TA's.

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 07:39 am:

David would you post a picture of it? Also, what engine does it have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 09:59 am:

So do you still need a wiring diagram? Just got back from breakfast.:>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Don't lite the engine up, use a vacuum pump. I use an old a/c evacuation pump and place it it far enough away so I can listen to the leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

I have both a vacuam diagram and a wireing diagram.
The diagrams are for the Ranchero,Torino, and something else.The wireing diagrams are 18 pages doubled and the paper is 12x18 or so.
very detailed.
Factory Ford paper work from 1974.
let me know and we will fiqure something out. To much and to big to scan on a computer.A print shop might could copy them in sections and you put the sections together of the doubled pages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

OT (a little bit). Back in the seventies, I owned a 1973 Ranchero GT, Yellow with laser stripe and black interior. It was sold new in Midland, Texas. It was factory equipped with a 429 engine which ran good, but I wanted a little more. I just happened to have a complete, low mileage 429 Super Cobra Jet from a 1970 Torino on hand. I swapped engines and from that time until I sold it at the Carlisle Car Corral auction one fall, it was hard to keep tires on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

David it is easy to run engine just run a small jumper wire from batt. to coil their are 2 conectors on coil one wire goes to dist. connect to the other one than jump solinoid with a screw driver and it should start make sure it is not in gear or it will run you over!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

All sorted thank you, the vacuum system is now all fully functional, the wiring on those radios is weird, two black for power, light and radio, and the casing is the earth.
I'm currently taking it from light blue to very Dark blue, unfortunately my paint mixer, added way to much purple, Doooh!, sanding it back again and then we'll have another crack at it.
yes '72 GT with the much unloved 400 ( under rated me thinks, it goes like the clappers) with a 3:25 LSD and tricked C6.
The cam probably wants replacing with something a little more meaty, with the 750 Edelbrock and hooker headers it's got a lot of go.
A new B&M hammer shifter is sitting in it waiting to be installed.... that's the next learning process, how to remove the column shift and still have the safeties and column lock work properly.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration