Crankshaft Pulley

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Crankshaft Pulley
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 11:03 am:

I am working on a friend's 1926 Touring and the crank pulley which is one of the aftermarket aluminum ones. It does not align with the fan pulley by about 3/8inch which causes the belt to ride up on the flange of the of the Al pulley. To align properly, pulley needs to locate closer to the radiator.

Question: is there a different pulley for the 1926 car/ engine that will give me alignment?? Thanks, Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 11:18 am:

All the crank shaft pulleys were in the same position lengthwise. The crank pin sets it in position. If the alu pulley is homemade on a lathe, then perhaps it's positioned differently?

Does the car have the water outlet / fan hub combo? Maybe the hub is positioned wrong with washers on the axle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Mine is the opposite. The belt runs forward and flops off the pulley. I have found that loosening the belt to the point the fan spins freely by hand with the engine not running. The fan will still run when the engine is running and the belt runs at the high point in the center of the pulleys. It would be better if the pulleys lined up.

My fan pulley has been fitted with a ball bearing and I think it runs forward of the correct position, but at least it works this way.

Ricks has a solution. He just takes off the belt and drives without it.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

Norm - I'm guessing that the song,...."I love a Parade",....is NOT your favorite song! At least not a parade with your Model T in it , right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Don't change from original, standard parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

That's why I have the fan working, is because I drive in parades and also uphill to my house. I loosened the belt again and it seems to stay on. I didn't drive it, but sped up and slowed down the engine and it stayed on. I am planning to go to Bakersfield in a couple weeks and maybe I will find another pulley there which I can try on my car. I might also try exchanging pulleys with my other 26. That one has the standard crankshaft pulley and bushings in the fan and it stays on. Maybe Joseph and I should trade top pulleys!
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration