OT air compressor opinion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT air compressor opinion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 03:36 pm:

Old compressor gave out Looking to replace it with a budget single stage 60 gal. Budget
450.00 +/- range puts me in the Husky, Kobalt, Campbell etc area. Any one have a budge compressor and how well has it done for you? I do all sanding painting impact etc. Stuff a T guy would do in his garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

Personally I think you get what you pay for. Several years ago I bought a rebuilt Curtis probably 50 years old for 600 bucks, it has an 80 gal. tank with five horse motor and will keep up and shut off while using my blast cabinet or any thing else. Look around they are out there, you might have to get a 3phase model but you can trade the motor for a single phase. IMHO I think you will be disappointed with a cheap one. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jahn Wright - Rio Rancho NM on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

I wore out a Craftsman oil less 5-HP 60 gal. Was uncomfortably loud--needed ear plugs/muffs. Now have an Atlas Copco 5-HP, 2-stage, 80 gal--not a budget model, but should have purchased it years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

I bought a 5hp 60gal. Ingersoll Rand at TSC several years ago. Cost was around 700.00.
Been working OK for me.
A good air compressor is a must for a shop.

The equipment that Harbour Freight sells is about the cheapest. Probably OK. I would get the warranty to go with it.
The good thing about them is they will replace a faulty piece with no questions asked. They always have mine anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

This will probably turn into another "which is the best oil" type of thread but consider a few facts when comparing compressors.

1. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get 5hp from a 120v circuit no matter what is claimed.
2. Tank size means nothing if the compressor can't keep it full.
3. Use the compressor specs not the tank output for air capacity/flow.
4. Air tools are convenient but use more energy than an electric counter-part.
5. Air tool air requirements are usually understated.
6. Air compressor output is usually overstated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

I would by a new pump. Or motor or whatever it needs if the tank is still good.
You can save a lot of money that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

I have 5 hp single stage 60 gallon Cambell Hausfeld that was a $400 budget unit I bought about 20 years ago. Is it everything I want it to be? Nope..... Is it adequate for the majority of the tasks I do in my garage? You bet.... Painting, some small cabinet bead blasting, impact tools are no problem. The high volume tasks like air sanders and serious sandblasting require too much air to do a lot. I can do those tasks but I cannot do them without allowing the compressor to catch up. The other thing is if I do those high consumption tasks the compressor gets warmer, which means more condensation. I have the output run through about 40' of black iron pipe, with drains at the low points, to cool the air. I also have a good filter dryer.

I used an oilless compressor for a while ; it's ok for airing tires and light weight use but it will not last near as long and won't provide the volume of air you need for a lot of tasks. I wore mine out in less than 5 years and it was a decent name brand unit.

I definitely would prefer a 2 stage compressor with higher recovery.... But the difference is an easy $1000 -1500 more for a good, name brand 2 stage. If you decide to buy a serious compressor don't cut corners. If you are on a tight budget and your realistic the single stage will do most of what you need. I've restored 2 tourings and a 65 mustang with my budget unit, including all body and paint work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 08:59 am:

Grainger sells replacement pumps, and I suppose others do as well. If the other two parts (motor, tank) are OK, I'd look at replacing the part that broke. Assuming, of course, you were satisfied with it when it worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 09:38 am:

I have 2 compressors one budget one that is at the house for tires and portable tanks and such I have replaced the head gasket on that one twice. My big compressor is a DeVilbiss 80 gal 5 years so far no problems 175 psi in a blast cabinet and it does cycle off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 10:05 am:

I recommend an electric one. I had a gas compressor which I used for many years and it ran great, but now it won't start. Unfortunately the new gas formula gums things up unless you use the equipment on a regular basis or drain the fuel between uses. Same goes for chain saw and weed eater.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 10:39 am:

Spend the extra and get a good 1.
Others may have saw the Quincy 60 gallon tank, I bought and put in my shop when I built it.I had the money at the time from my accident settlement and I will say, it was well spent.
Some compressors will say USA made.But the compressors are chinese made and the unit is assembled in the US.I shopped for a couple months for a compressor because I had always done without a good 1 all my life and I knew in a shop it was a necessary thing. I wanted 1 that once i put it in, I was done for a while.So far,I am more than happy.
Quincy and a couple others that cost in the 1200 range, are totally US made.
Keep the water drained from whatever you buy and change the compressor oil after a few hours of operation when new.When I bought mine the only way the extended warranty was good was if I could produce a receipt for a oil change kit. So I bought 1 and used it and so far,no troubles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

Harbor Freight has replacement pumps for less than $ 200 Seem to be OK Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration