OT, 1910 ~ Des Moines, Iowa

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT, 1910 ~ Des Moines, Iowa
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

This is before the government got involved.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

Ahhh, the good ol' days!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 08:41 am:

Thanks for the picture. I'll try to get a modern one of the same location tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 08:43 am:

Is there still snow there Ned? Shouldn't be hard to find any takers for a "sled pull"!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

Warren,

I found an old post card view of the Iowa State Capitol building that is the spot in your photo. The light in the drive just over the front right fender of the auto shows up.

The modern view today makes the capitol seem more distant.

Both front and back of the building are very close in design but the high relief is in the front gable. The street in the old photo appears closer to the building but that is probably the effect of the camera.

We add a crane in the modern picture....

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

It is a very cool building. If you're ever coming through town, I would highly suggest taking the tour. It's free! Really makes you question how they built it without modern machinery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Ned,

You are absolutely right. It is a beautiful building. It was built between 1871-1886 and is the only five-domed capitol in the United States.

That post card was in the "images of" stack. You could pick out the driveway lamp just over the fender of the car.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

I can't remember how old i was but we had a WW2 Jeep and my mother pulled our sledds with it.Later we used to use small tractors and often skated to school on the roads! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Growing up in Manchester, NH, we hopped bus bumpers for winter transport :-) Late 50's - 60's was a great time to grow up :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

In about 1969 I was living in Minnetonka, MN with my then wife and two little kids. One Sunday morning in January, temperature about -20, Tom Reese called up and said to bundle up the family and come to a "T-Boggan party". He had his 1913 T out on Lake Minnetonka with original chains on the wheels and a toboggan tied to the rear axle. We rode around on the lake on that toboggan and had a great time. A couple of snowmobilers roared up - snowmobiles were quite new in those days - and slowed down for a better look. The guys reached into their heavy coats, pulled out a couple of flasks, took a couple of huge swigs, and went off at speed. Ah, youth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 06:58 am:

Maybe it was some sort of a school outing (or just on their way to school), looks like that is a little grade going up to the State House.

Happy motoring,

Warren

my favorite song about Iowa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSq3aw51RJU

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration