HCCA Swap Meet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: HCCA Swap Meet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

Has anyone ever attended the swap meet (in Bakersfield) coming up in April? I have a friend who, though not a T enthusiast, has attended in the past and informs me that there are deals to be had. If you've followed my "HELP" thread last weekend, I have a chance to pick up a '22 Touring in pretty good shape for around $8,000. However, as I mentioned in that thread, my heart is squarely and firmly in the Brass Era ('15-'16) and I'm wondering just how good the deals might be in Bakersfield. I don't want to string the current seller along unfairly, but if there's a chance for a really good deal at HCCA, I'd like to maybe give that a try. Has anyone ever gotten a good deal there? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

I hate for sellers to be strung along also. Besides, sometimes the car goes another direction and a good deal may be lost. However, being more of a Horseless Carriage era person myself, I can also understand the desire to find what you REALLY want.
I have been to the Bakersfield meet a few times. It is always different. However it is the only swap meet I really try to go to anymore. For model Ts and other pre1930 cars, it is certainly the best swap meet West of Chickasha OK. There are always really good deals on really good model T parts, including early parts. Both of the past two years, someone could have put together a good '09 or '10 T (or two) just from the parts there. There are also still a lot of non-Ford Horseless Carriage era parts there most years.
It varies from year to year, but usually there are quite a few horseless carriage era cars for sale there. Some ready to go, some needing a lot of work. Most somewhere in between. Last year, there were a few good deals on model T Fords. I thought the best one was an assembled '09/'10 touring with a lot of high quality reproduction parts coupled to a lot of very rare correct early parts. Most of the restoration was already done. I wish I could have bought it (too broke). You couldn't have put it together for considerably more than the asking price. The seller later parted it all out and got more for in pieces than he was asking for the whole thing.
A couple years ago, there was I think the best totally original late brass era T I have ever seen. Beautiful original paint, upholstery, etc. Sold fast. Last year there were at least three '13 to '15 Ts for sale. Also a few brass era Buicks, Overland, Stanley Steamer (for the big money crowd) and some really rare stuff also.
For anybody interested in Horseless Carriages, model Ts, or pre1930 Studebakers (the local Antique Studebaker Club attends in force), The Bakersfield meet is a must.
I don't know if I will go this year or not, money is just too tight right now. But I did leave some parts there last year that I should have bought?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

You never know. There is usually unfinished projects or complete cars that are for sale, money talks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

HI Jerry sent you a private message

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Do you think the prices are comparable or better than Tbay?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

I am there almost every year as a buyer. Some years I have brought home a pickup full of stuff I just couldn't pass up. A few times I found very little I wanted.

You're not far away; it is the best swapmeet you can go to that is anywhere near as close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

If you want a brass T, come to Bakersfield. There have been deals to be had there. There are always cars to be had for far less than it cost to restore them. If you want a T that is ready to enjoy, that is the way to go. If you want to build your own car, projects are plentiful there too. Good luck in your hunt.
Today at Chickasha there is a beautiful 1913 speedster for sale at $13,500. Nice brass, new radiator, new wheels, the list goes on. You couldn't build the car for anything close to that. I saw some non-Ford cars sell cheap too.
See you in Bakersfield.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

Having been a nearly 30 year veteran of Hershey, and every Chickasha since the beginning, and a host of other so called "pre war" swap meets I vote Bakersfield is the best of the lot.

Beautiful weather (only 1 year rain). All on soft grass for us old guys to wander about on. Hordes of brass and pre war parts, projects and cars.

Lots of good motels reasonably priced. Unlike Chickasha and Hershey,they don't gouge swappers and force a minimum stay. The resturants are plentiful and inexpensive as well.

I have been going to Bakersfield since its inception and have never been skunked in either selling or buying,

Since Chickasha has seen better days and its demise seems to be on the horizon, save your money and head west to Bakersfield for the real brass swap meet.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 12:11 am:

The Deal is where you find it But your so close to The Field. You got to come out and find something. RDR and I have attended this swap several years now and its the best. See you there!
Just think.. It's just over the Hill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 04:33 am:

And there's some great Ice Cream parlors very near by too. . . .
Hey, Priorities guys!
Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as Wayne S. Was going to go to sell stuff, but can't seem to get my stuff together. Oh well. . . .
But yes Jerry, it's our version of Hershey, but shrunk down--a lot! Best pre-war meet around. And you will see stuff there you never thought you'd see--how many swap meets have 3, count 'em, 3, vendors selling Stanley parts??? At least they did one year I was there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Well, it looks like I'm headed to Bakersfield. Thanks guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

I guarantee you won't be disappointed. I damn forgot the ice cream parlors and the brew pubs.

If ya got brass stuff, good food, inexpensive motels, warm sunny weather, ice cream and beer, there is no other place in the world with that combination.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 12:24 am:

I'm still in Chickasha and already looking forward to Bakersfield. Maybe we can arrange a meeting of forum participants there? We will be there with T parts and cars for sale. Also, country music fans will want to visit Buck Owens' Crystal Palace. Great food and music. Alternatively, family style Basque dining is good in old town. Brass car guy nailed it. Be there in Bakersfield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 02:30 am:

Ice cream and beer! If you've ever read Steinbeck's Cannery Row Brass Car Guy, then you might be familiar with the beer milkshake (aka Beer Float) it's sort of like killing two birds with one stone... or killing one stone with two birds. Or just getting stoned. Either way, I tried it once and you know, it's not as bad as you might think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 02:57 am:

Martin Vowell and I are planning to show up. Been going for the Last 3 years, found some good deals and Forum friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Maybe those of us who live in the central or eastern US should do what the Europeans do when they come to Chickasha. Go to California on an airplane and sent purchases back home in a shipping container.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:17 am:

The only bad Bakersfield meet I've been to was two years ago when it rained, and was quite muddy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:30 am:

Rick, plenty of West Coast guys travel to Hershey and Chickashaw, interstates go both ways.. just saying... :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration