Brake band

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brake band
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Butch Reif on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

I tried posting this last night, but I don't know if I did it right. I'm having trouble with my brake while running on mag. I pulled the inspection plate on the hogs head and the linings look real good. I don't have any trouble with the clutch or reverse. I actually have to feather the reverse to help stop the car. I adjusted the band up a little and looks like it graps the surface area of the drum really good. any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

Whether you run on mag or battery should make no difference in how the brake works.

This is a puzzle. Others might know what could cause the problem. I would like to find out why myself.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

In cap letter;
DO NOT USE THE REVERSE TO HELP SLOW OR STOP THE CAR.

The reverse drum is the thinnest drum and VERY prone to cracking and no matter what any book says don't use it. Use the throttle, spark, hand brake and even the low.

There should be no connection to the brake band and the car running on magneto. Does it do the same thing running on battery?

The only thing I could think of is that running on magneto, when you push the low for clutch and pressing the brake increases the gap between the magnets and coil ring.

You need to be a little more descriptive of what is happing when you push the brake in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

In the meantime, try to avoid using the reverse pedal for braking. The reverse drum heats up really quick as the reverse drum is a much lighter casting than the other two drums. Too much heating up of the reverse drum and it will crack and in a very short time, tear up the reverse band lining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Mark - We were typing at the same time! (....and you type faster!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

If bands are Kevlar, you will have to tighten them several times before they settle in and afterward will need little adjustment. Is your clevis connecting the clutch pedal to the clutch lever according to the book? Is your clutch spring set according to the book.

As others have said stay off the reverse . You can close the throttle then push the low pedal to the floor and use the engine for braking. Don't slip the low band either!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Butch Reif on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 11:01 am:

Okay Thanks for the heads up on using the reverse. It seems to brake okay running on battery. I just figured the mag was running a hotter spark. It looks like the band pulls evenly. Does anyone think maybe it might be to tight and not letting it travel enough on the pedal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Butch Reif on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Okay Thanks for the heads up on using the reverse. It seems to brake okay running on battery. I just figured the mag was running a hotter spark. It looks like the band pulls evenly. Does anyone think maybe it might be to tight and not letting it travel enough on the pedal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 02:09 pm:

I say, embrace the Magic. If your car stops better on Battery then only run it on battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Here's one thing I thought of when you said the mag was running a hotter spark. The idle should be set as slow as possible when idling in neutral. Just high enough that the engine doesn't stall. Then when you are driving the car and want to stop, push the throttle all the way up to the idle position, then apply the brake. When you get almost to a stop, put the transmission into neutral so that you don't kill the engine. Good to practice this in an empty parking lot or somewhere with very little traffic until you perfect it. The brake on a Model T is never as good as on a modern car unless you have after market 4 wheel disk brakes. So you must leave plenty of space around the car and be on the alert for anything which make it necessary to stop.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration