TT License Plate Hanger

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: TT License Plate Hanger
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 12:35 am:

All fired up and ready to go, I went to hang my freshly restored license
plate to what I assumed was the proper mount - the tail light (and license
plate bracket ?) - and discovered the holes do not align. Perhaps I have
this all wrong and this is not the proper license plate hanger location ???

This truck has the Ford Truck flatbed with what looks to be an original
tail light / license plate (?) bracket.

Houston, please advise ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 01:01 am:

A modern license plate may have the holes spaced differently than the old T era plates? Drill a new hole in the plate or fasten it with the universal Model T fastener, bailing wire :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 01:05 am:

No modern plate. This is a correct 1926 Washington State
T-code truck plate. I will not be drilling holes in it !

And yes, I have already consider the "Plan B" route of universal
Model T hardware. Isn't barbed wire even more appropriate ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 01:26 am:

Here is the Starter version for the 26/27 TT. It mounts to the underneath cross member and then uses the same lamp the cars used.

Bracket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 01:48 am:

Until a better fitting license plate bracket is found, I would have made a spacer out of black painted sheet metal with four holes, two for the bracket and two for the license plate.

Any pictures of the problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

I have never considered the underside of the bed to be that
photogenic to take a photo of it, but will crawl under there to
get one for reference purposes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

In my effort to get a good photo, I got some light in under there and can clearly see this thing is
home made. Which leads to the question, .... what does a correct bracket look like ? ... or more
to the point, what does one look like installed with the lights and license plate installed ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

Fred posted a photo above of the correct bracket. I believe that same bracket was also used on the '25 - '27 factory pick up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

I see the bracket, but where does it mount and where do the lights, plate mount to it ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 09:52 am:

The photo is sideways. The four holes on the right side are actually the top and I believe bolt onto one of the rear bed cross members. I might have the rest of the bracket that holds the tail lamp & license plate - I'll try and get a photo for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 03:17 pm:

Here you go. I realize that not many of the 26 27 TT's still have this bracket attached as many have been lost. The bracket I posted earlier mounts with the 4 holes to the bed cross member and hangs down. The raised spine is pointed backward and the Tail light License plate bracket bolts to the end with the large hole. This uses the same stop light as the cars minus the short bracket on the back of it.

Here is a picture of the light that would work if the short bracket for the car was removed.

I hope this helps.light

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 04:37 pm:

Burger,
Hope this pic helps. I had to resize it to post here. The bracket previously posted is riveted to the bed's crossmember and tag bracket as shown here. If you need a more high resolution to enlarge and look at details, send me an email and I'll send you the 1.43mb version. I took this of my 1925 TT. The crossmember has the 4 rivets and the 3 rivets hold the plate bracket to it. Mine's had another brace (that don't belong)screwed to it near the right side. When I got the truck in 1975, it had no tail light. The kerosene lamp fits perfectly, and the electric one you see, fits pretty good. 1925 TT tail light bracket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan - Vineland NJ 08360 on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Here are some picture of my 1925 express bed with the bracket and a shoot of the bracket with cut plate bracket and a good uncut bracket. the licence plate bracket has a ford script on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

That's perfect, gents. Thanks ! I can now consider myself edjumacated on this subject.

I suspect this part does not have the demand to be reproduced ?

I guess I will work up a barbed wired stand in until one can be found. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

Burger, try Ford-n-more in Spokane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan - Vineland NJ 08360 on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

They do reproduce the vertical part that Fred shows above. It was also used on the roadster pickup. Try any of the model T supply houses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

Tom, .... I'll see you Tuesday with starter in hand.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration