OT - Skilled Cossack and Native American horsemen in horseless carriage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Skilled Cossack and Native American horsemen in horseless carriage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 06:00 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 06:35 am:

Wow, what a great Packard (about 1908?) and a wonderful photo!
Such an interesting mix of people. Any ideas what the occasion was? Where it was?
Thank you, Constantine, for showing this one to us. Someone must be able to give us more information about it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

This was a promotional picture for Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show & Congress of Rough Riders of the World. The year is about 1910.

Here is another photo of the Cossacks in the same Packard. It looks like the same location. The pictures are small.

Anyone recognize the building in the background?

Ken in Texas

(Message edited by drkbp on March 19, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Hudson on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

I believe it's Grant's Tomb. I think this is my first post since 2005. Hello Everyone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

Ken,
Great catch.
James,
Welcome back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 12:30 am:

trick question for extra credit: Who is Buried in Grant's tomb?
(I'll wait for some answers first)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 01:00 am:

Mrs. Grant

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 09:14 am:

Thank you, Groucho.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 09:53 am:

I looked it up. Nobody is buried in Grant's Tomb. Ulysses S. grant and his wife Julia Dent Grant are entombed there, or more correctly their remains are. :-)

So, technically Groucho was wrong all those years.

My wife really hates it when I say stuff like this.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 11:36 am:

James,

You are correct! I didn't have a clue where it was. Here are several period photos of Grant's Tomb.

The small boathouse(?) in the left background places the photos in the left foreground of the building.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Ken is correct, it's Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show & Congress of Rough Riders at Grant's Tomb.

Buffalo Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

Above is a photo of Buffalo Bill (on the horse in the middle).

In the below photo, on the left side are the other Rough Riders, the 1st Volunteer Cavalry, lead by future President, Lieutenant-Colonel Roosevelt (wearing glasses in the middle); the 10th US Cavalry is on the right. They're at the top of the hill which they captured from the Spanish at the Battle of San Juan Hill (Cuba).

Rough Riders included Ivy Leaguers, professional and amateur athletes, upscale gentlemen as well as cowboys, frontiersmen, Native Americans, hunters, miners, prospectors, former soldiers, tradesmen, and sheriffs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 12:20 am:

Roosevelt commented on his role in the battles: "On the day of the big fight I had to ask my men to do a deed that European military writers consider utterly impossible of performance, that is, to attack over open ground an unshaken infantry armed with the best modern repeating rifles behind a formidable system of entrenchments. The only way to get them to do it in the way it had to be done was to lead them myself."

Roosevelt always recalled the battle as "the great day of my life" and "my crowded hour".

In 2001, Roosevelt was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions; he had been nominated during the war, but Army officials, annoyed at his grabbing the headlines, blocked it. After returning to civilian life, Roosevelt preferred to be known as "Colonel Roosevelt" or "The Colonel".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 02:06 am:

It appears that the photo of Buffalo Bill was taken in front of the Irma Hotel (which he built in 1902 and named for his daughter) in Cody Wyoming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Evan,

The Hotel Irma is still there.

HOTEL IRMA

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fritz Hady Mt. Top,Pa. on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

Why hasn't someone named the touring car in the lower pic? Could it be HAYNES?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

I've been to buffalo Bill's ranch in Nebraska. Its cool, all the rafter tails on the barn roof are shaped like rifle stocks

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration