Low pedal shaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Low pedal shaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

I have had issues with the new low pedal shafts having the rivet holes in the wrong spot which made it impossible to properly adjust the low band. Anybody else ever have this issue? How are the shafts that are being made now?

Thanks,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott hohensee on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

i purchased one from snyders a couple of years ago, it was made in the USA and fit perfectly.
I used the oversized one that they sell and reamed the bore to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

Yes I have had two of them.
There were some made that the hole distance apart was off by about 1/16 to 1/8 inch to close together and the unmachined part of the shaft was just a little short. It was a tight fit to adjust the band but did it.
I am guessing that they had drilling jigs that each end of the shaft was stuck into. The shafts were cut short then after machining the stub for the band to ride on each end was stuck in a jig to drill and they didn't see they were too short and then shipped to the sellers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

I had the problem with two different cars and shafts bought at different times. On the first one, I thought that the pedal was bent and so I bent it toward the seat. That fixed the problem. Originally the best spot for adjustment was below the floorboard and when the floorboard was installed I had to adjust the band too tight. Bending the pedal fixed the problem

On the second one, I couldn't get a free neutral because when I depressed the pedal the low band would compress the band at the same place the neutral should be. In that case, I filed the low notch until I got the pedal to come back enough to be able to push down into neutral before the band compressed for low. It works fine now. I bought a new cam a new shaft and a new notch, so I don't know for sure which was incorrect, but filing fixed the problem.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Glad to hear about the misdrilled shafts. I hope this has been corrected. This is a good reason for the forum. It helps alert people for incorrect parts.
I was thinking about replacing the low speed shaft in my 24 Coupe since the pedal has gotten loose on the shaft.

Thanks again for the update.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration