High performance coil Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: High performance coil Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

I bought a 6 volt input, 45,000 volt output coil for the T. I've had it in service for maybe 150 miles. Today while running the T in the shop after installing new plugs, the engine shut off like I had turned the ignition key off. It had been running pretty good after putting the plugs in and just cut off after about 8 minutes of running . After three hours of troubleshooting, I changed the condenser, cleaned and re gaped the points and got fire at the plugs again but it is running rough. I have good battery voltage (6.44 volts while running). Do the high performance coils require a special condenser? I am running a Texas T distributor and was using the condenser that came with it. I'm not sure what the condenser is for that I have on it now, it was one I had laying around the shop and put it on there just to try it. I have ordered a new points, coil and condenser from Langs to put back on it. I would like to run the high performance coil but need it to be reliable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

The coil might need a ballast resistor before the coil. Was there any instructions with the coil that said this? I know it is common for a lot of 12v systems (like muscle car stuff) to use a ballast resistor to reduce the input voltage so it doesn't burn out other parts of the ignition system.

I wonder who is the manufacture of the coil--an ID on it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

Chester
I think the condenser needs to be matched to the coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

They are (supposed to be) a set as Les mentioned but many seem to work OK with different coils. You can re-install the old condenser to see if that was actually the problem and not the coil overheating/failing. It is unusual to see a condenser fail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

If the coil needed a resistor it would have burned the points out.
A condenser is a condenser.
I'm betting you have a crappy coil. Probably made in Mexico.
Go to NAPA and get a coil for a '66 VW (6 volt). don't use a resistor, the coil has one built in.
First check for loose low tension wires, at the connections.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

Also, a coil only puts out enough electricity to jump any gaps between it and the center electrode in the spark plug.
With a plug gap of .020 to .030" and a compression ratio of less than 4 to one, or even 7 to 1 the coil will never need to put out more than 12,000 volts.
My point is: no need to by a hot coil for a model T. It won't help or make any difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

Ballast resistor reduces current.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

Aaron is exactly correct. Another source for 6 volt coils is Tractor Supply. Ford ran 6 volt on farm tractors through 1964.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration