Quick Hello

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Quick Hello
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Greetings all - just a quick hello, been following this site for over a year and just now registering and will be joining MTFCA as well. About a year ago we acquired a Speedster project from Dennis Michaud who posts here also, been planning and buying some parts so it is time to begin working on it. It will be a full fendered car - closest I will get to a Stutz Bearcat! :-)

Pictures and questions to follow, but what I have learned here so far has already proven invaluable!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

Welcome to the forum Steven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Welcome, enjoy the affliction....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Welcome Steven,

I was just looking at a map to see where Avon is and see that I likely drove through there in my '14 touring back in 2009 after picking up a buddy in Suffield. We were on our way to an Autoneers (regional group of the HCCA) tour at the now defunct Golden Age of Trucking Museum in Middlebury. Driving through beautiful downtown Waterbury was a hoot.

Hope to see you on the road. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

Steven,

Welcome to the forum! Before you start adding gas to your project, recommend reading some of the safety tips at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/525393.html included at the Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 06:26 am posting.

Also since you are you are building a speedster I would recommend checking out the Northwest Vintage Speedster site at: http://www.nwvs.org/ especially the technical section (click on their tab). No, you won’t be able to just easily drive over for a day’s event, but they have a lot of good ideas and photos for speedsters from mild to wild. And some of those might help you determine the way you want to go. And the Tulsa Web site also has some good speedster information in their tech section at: http://mtfctulsa.com/ again from the main page click on Technical tab on the lower left.

And of course post photos when you have a chance.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

Welcome to the club and the hobby.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

Thanks for the warm welcome and great tips guys. Hap, I have started to review some of the great info in your thread attached in your greeting. Been around old cars a long time but new to the Model "T" - so different from my prior Model A & Packard! Lot's to learn for sure.

I think we have a very good start - Dennis did a lot of work on this car already, frame has been blasted, painted, front end done, nice speedster platform, etc. - runs well but lots of work remains - which is the fun part!

No regrets about taking the year, it helped me formulate a good plan, acquire some parts, and finalize the overall direction. Trying to attach is a picture or two but it is a little tricky (will do if I can get them sized right!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

Here is the Speedster

Project!SBM Speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Steve, I remember that car before Dennis sold it, If you need any help let me know Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 12:35 am:

Welcome to the MTFCA Forum. I use all these guys when I have a question that needs an answer. They are great and very knowledgeable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 05:53 am:

Steven,

Looks like you have a great start on the speedster. If you have a chance to ride in a few of them, it will give you an idea of how much wind (and water if it is wet) will be hitting the driver and passenger. The full fenders should help reduce the water issue a lot.

I have heard but I do NOT know that a curved outward shaped cowl can help deflect more of the wind off the driver & passenger. Perhaps someone who has ridden in both types of speedsters/cars can verify if that is correct or if it is about the same and doesn’t really matter.

And one of the nicest things about building a speedster – you can place the seat so you have a little more leg room.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 08:14 am:

Thanks again guys!

Hap, I have been lucky enough to catch a ride in an ALF Speedster a friend of mine had but not a T speedster yet! A huge, powerful vehicle, a challenge to drive in crowded settings though! I have ridden in couple of Brass era cars including a "T" touring which was a lot of fun for sure!

Spencer, thank you. I figure I best get going on this car - I see Dennis at the meets etc. and he always ask what I have completed so far!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza, north adams ma on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Steve, sent you a pm. You can use it to talk directly with people when you like. Good to see ya, putting my engine back together! Then the chassis. Hopefully we both finish this summer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Ha David, I bet you will beat me - you have youth and energy on your side - although at 51 I am plenty energetic when it comes to long hours in the garage! Seriously though I will be happy to get through phases one and two this year:

Phase 1 - set up ignition, fuel and cooling systems (we used seller's coil box & Batt and small gas tank to run engine) - I have acquired those parts, had my coils rebuilt by Lang's etc. so I am pretty excited to get on with that part.

Also in this phase - go through everything from U-joint on back, I need all seals, bearings, and the full brake set up as well as an exhaust system. Some parts clean up and painting here, but mostly this is mechanical work and seems straightforward enough.

Phase 2 - Remove the platform, sand it down, prime. Set up seat location and build permanent mount for that, locate and mount pernament gas tank (I have one lined up, for speedster with big brass lid) & trunk/toolbox. So basically setting up the platform.

Phase 3 - order fenders, splash pans, running boards and all the brackets, bolts and misc. and test fit all that. Decision point will be whether or not I paint or have it done. I am guessing they will take a while to come so I am targeting ordering later this year with an eye towards this phase next Spring. Still deciding on '14 Hack or '12 Torpedo rears, but I have really come to appreciate these with the stock vs. Rootlieb Speedster style fenders unless the car is really lowered dramatically. The stock fenders seem to add to a longer look, I think due to the running board length.

Phase 4 - hang the headlights & tail light, and upholster the seat, other things necessary to get on the road. Drive it a bit, sort it, and maybe make a simple change or two like an improved intake and exhaust, once I have some experience behind the wheel.

Recognizing this high level plan involves countless small tasks, I am actually aiming for next summer, but it would be nice to run around the neighborhood before the snow flies this fall.

At some point I will drop it a little with the reverse spring from my friend Travis who is one town over and owns "T Springs", likely before I get too far putting it back together given the fact I plan on it anyway. Yellow with green upholstery and wheels, not sure on black or yellow fenders yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 08:51 am:

Welcome Steven,

If you get a chance - visit the MTFCA Museum in Richmond, IN

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Thanks for the tip, Jim! BTW, been following your updates on trips and deliveries over the years through your AACA forum posts.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

Steven,
Great group of very knowledgeable guys here. I've only been in the hobby about 8 years but because of the help here (and locally) I have never come across an issue that could not be resolved.

Like most, my car multiplied and I now have 4. You may suffer that as well as most of us do!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration