Hood Former for 1915 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hood Former for 1915 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Tipton on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Where is the best place to get a hood former for my 1915 Model T Touring?

Thanks, Dave Tipton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Place and ad in the classifieds, not just here but the other sites as well. Watch Ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:13 am:

David,

Taking a look at your profile photo, I don't see an obvious reason you would want a different hood former.

If I recall correctly, someone posted a few photos of a 1915-16 hood former that was cut diagonally or shortened etc. near the bottom for some reason. Was that your hood former? If so, it may be able to be repaired. I.e. find another one that is damaged but has that section that is still good and put the two hood formers together to make one really nice one.

I agree with Mark that placing the advertisements is a good idea. Some of the swap meets that have lots of T parts would also be a good suggestion.

If you are in a hurry, Mark at Model T Haven probably has one or could find you one, but he is running a business so it would be priced at "high retail" [which is less than the cost of driving a day, spending the night in a hotel, attending a swap meet, spending the night in the hotel again, and then driving back the next day for a "might find one"]. If you haven't taken a peak at his back lot -- please see: http://modelthaven.com/partsbl.html Note, many of the vendors also have some original parts that they do not place in their catalogs because they only have 1 or 2 of the items. You could also contact some of them and ask. Again -- they would be selling it at high retail.

Good luck with your search.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Tipton on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Hap, thanks for the info. Long story on my hood former. My car had been restored about a year before I bought it and looked beautiful. The only thing that bugged me from day one was the plywood firewall someone had installed. So ... I decided to replace the plywood with a piece of solid hard wood the correct thickness. took everything apart and couldn't get the hood former off the firewall. Whoever installed the firewall used 3/4" thick plywood, the correct thickness is either 3/4" thick with a 1/16" rabbit cut around the edge so the firewall fits inside the hood former or and 11/16" thick firewall. Whoever installed this firewall forced the 3/4" plywood into the hood former cracking and wrinkling the metal. To overcome this they hammered in 35 small nails around the hood former, bonded over the nails then painted. After I removed the nails the former was cracked and out of shape. It can be repaired but I thought getting one in good shape might be easier. Dave Tipton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:54 am:

David,

Ask around at the next Lone Star T club meeting. Or put an ad in our newsletter. Someone around here is likely to have one at a reasonable price. Here's a link to the club website in case you are not already a member:

http://lone-star-ts.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 11:37 am:

"I decided to replace the plywood with a piece of solid hard wood the correct thickness."

David -- If you are concerned about originality, your solid wood core should be covered with veneer on both sides, then painted black.

You are correct that some were 11/16" thick and some were 3/4" with the edge rabbetted down to 11/16". I don't know the dates for each type, but maybe John Regan will tell us when he gets home from Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

Good hood formers are hard to find. The hood hinge hole gets "wallowed" out fairly quickly. Ford should have brazed in a bushing there (I say "brazed" because that's the way it was done back then, today one could weld in a bushing, which is one of the preferred ways to repair the former.
done properly, the only way to tell would be to use a little mirror to look up under the former!
If your former is good there, think I'd repair the cracks and nail holes and keep it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 10:23 am:

Mike:

The dash drawing changed from 3/4" thick to 11/16" thick on 3/3/15. As usual I caution folks to remember that design change date is NOT on-the-car change date. It would have taken some months for this change to start to appear on cars built at the factory and even longer for cars assembled at branches.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration