Odd Brake drum, I need help...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Odd Brake drum, I need help...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 01:20 am:

I am rebuilding the transmission of a fast Model T motor which has blown both the clutch and the low speed drum. In pulling it apart I found the brake drum has a flaw in that the ribs down the side do not go all the away to the front, allowing a couple of disks to get trapped and the small disk between them damage the center tabs. In the picture below you can see that the ribs do not go all the way to the bottom of the brake drum allowing a couple of the disks not to rotate with the drum.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 01:30 am:

See your other string, it's early with no spacer so the disks have gotten stuck under the lugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 02:11 am:

An early drum that requires a special spacer ring for the clutch. Sorry, I don't have a picture of one.
Help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 09:43 am:

The special spacer ring is called a "distance plate". I did a quick search on the forum for a picture of one, but couldn't find one.

Check with Dave Huson, he may have a distance plate that he can sell you. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:29 am:

I have one here for sale, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

Tony sent you a pm, Bob
Glad I could help you out

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration