What to look for in wire wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What to look for in wire wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

Hey guys, I just found a guy online who is advertising wood spoke and steel spoke wheels and claims they're for Model Ts. I'd like to go take a look at the wire spoke wheels because they might be nice to have and this guy just may have other, unadvertised stuff worth seeing.

Having said that, what am I looking for in a serviceable wire wheel for a T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 01:44 pm:

Check that the lug holes are not worn completely out, no major cracks any where(some can be repaired) as little rust as possible. They tend to get water in the bead portion and rust on the in side. If they still have old tires on them it is hard to really know the condition until they are removed. Bent and broken spokes can be repaired. look at the bead edge and make sure they have not been run flat, they should be round and no bad flat spots. Someone else may have more. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

First lay the wheel on flat surface, if wobbles don't buy.

Then check rim for round edge, if flattened the wheel was run without tire, don't buy.

The other tips above are important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

Talk to this guy (He is "Mr. Wire Wheel"):

John W. McLaren
3581 Greenmans Pt.
Cheboygan, MI 49721

One picture worth a thousand words. Don't get cheap with wheels. Your life depends on it.

Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

Do some looking on line at the differences between Model A and T wire wheels. The hub area on the A's is larger and there are raised bosses between the lug holes. The T wheel is 5 inches on 5 the A is 5 1/2 inches on 5. You will also need the 26/27 wire wheel hubs ($$) to mount them on and unless you have big drum rear axle you will need to change the brake drum. Then you will need new rear studs as the originals were swedged in place holding the brake drum on. The swedged part needs to be cut away before the stud is pressed out.
If you want a better slection of wire wheels you could use the Model A wire wheel adapters sold by the suppliers and 21 inch Model A wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Jon, I may be wrong, but I think Tim was talking about 21' Ford 26-27 factory steel spoke wheels; not 30 X 3.5 aftermarket wire wheels. McLaren makes them. I think Snyder's is the vendor that is the supplier for the 21" wire wheel repos. I don't know who makes them for them, but I think I read that they are made in China.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

We may need to dumb this down a step further for me. If you were looking at a big pile of misc wheels, what would you look for?

All I have to go off of is a poorly written online ad with one tiny blurry pic. They may or may not be T, now that I look at the bad pic of the wood spoke wheels it shows a large drum with eight bolts holding the hub together (didn't the T have six?) so they could I suppose be anything. There's maybe a 10% chance I'll come home with a set of wheels but I figure since it's just a couple blocks away from me it's worth going to look, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

If you are looking at aftermarket wire wheels....in addition to what others have said, make sure the correct hubs and caps are included. Having a spare wire wheel is a big plus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 12:43 am:

All T's only had 6 including the TT hub bolts wood wheels.
Bad rust pitting, cracked lug nut holes, cracks in the rim, like where it was welded together, cracks in the hub area, bent rim.
Post a link to the ad and maybe we can see something that will help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

This is all the ad has to say.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/thunder-bay/old-ford-steel-spoke-rims/10230739 63
Sometimes I get one thumbnail pic on it and sometimes I don't but that may be a software thing at my end. If you go to "view seller's other items" you can find the ad for the wood wheels.

I don't really need a set of wire wheels but if there's hubs too and the price is right I may as well bring them home. Plus, who knows what a guy with two sets of old car wheels could also have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

It's not just you, no photos here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

How much should a set of five wire wheels for a model T with hubs and hubcaps, such as buffalos cost? I would love to have a set but I cannot find any and noone is offering prices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

At Chickasha this last week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

Well if those guys at Chickasha did not sell those wire wheels, have them call me and maybe we can make a deal and send them to the west coast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Well if those guys at Chickasha did not sell those wire wheels, have them call me and maybe we can make a deal and send them to the west coast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 12:03 am:

Frank, i have been trying to put together a set of daytons for about 8 years. its nearly impossible to do it piece by piece. the last complete set of house (same as buffalo) sold on ebay for just over 5 grand. its cheaper to buy a car that has them, outfit the car with stock wheels, and resell it. the other option is to wait for some more hoarders to die. keep in mind pretty much all 80 year old wire wheels need to be rebuilt no matter how good they look. you run a few hundred miles on your nice freshly painted wheels and the rust under the nipples and the ends on the hub starts to loosen up the spokes. spokes are a little over a buck apiece, and nipples about a buck, X 48, 54, 60, or 72 which ever wheel you got, plus the rim at this point, dollar wise, should be new too. so now you got 4-5 hundred per wheel in parts to repair the set that cost 2-5 thousand to buy!!!! wire wheels are an expencive game to play. sure are cool though. new daytons in 1916 wgen they were introduced were 125.00. almost half the value of the car, and today? half the value of the car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Frank, Tom Donahue in Scott's Bluff Nebraska had the Hayes wheels. The hubs looked big for a T but I didn't ask him about them. He is very knowledgeable and will know exactly what they fit. John McLaren in Michigan had the Buffalo Disc wheels which I thought were pretty cool. Painted up and pin striped they would look great.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration