26-27 steering gear case

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 26-27 steering gear case
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

I took apart my column I got from someone tonight. I found that the case was broke a long the the threaded part. actually, a 1" section broke off where the screw goes threw the cover to keep it from unscrewing.

My question is, how do I tell if a housing will work for me, without being able to see the inside, to see the grove length. Will a 4-1 case work with my 5-1 gears & shaft, by making the slot longer. would it work without making it longer?

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

Should be 5-1 if it has a square base. A 4-1 if worn should work but the base is different. I think the round base would fit up to the fire wall. You would need to make the slot longer. From what I have seen is, if you use the short slot with 5-1 it will try and work it's way out of the slot to make the full turning radius of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 09:31 am:

I am looking to just get the gear case, not the whole housing. Someone has one for sale, but it does not have a slot, will it work on my column, if I were to cut a slot into it.

Pat

Here is a picture of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 09:50 am:

It seems like it would to me. I wonder if the older non-slotted cases are the same thickness on the bottom. I have some old columns with both styles but never noticed the thickness of the older ones.
There are some earlier threads where some have used the earlier cases with the 5x1 gear set up while others said they had problems with clearance. I believe the vendors sell the replacement gears to upgrade the older columns to the 5x1 ratio but you also have to use the 26-27 shafts because of the pin location that is used for the 'stop' inside the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

Like John said above, I suspect that the older cases without the slot are probably too thin to cut a slot into them with out substantial weakening of the case.

There are plenty of these gear cases around & I recommend that you get the correct 5 to 1 case which will have the slot in it.

BTW, You want the slot in the gear case as it prevents "oversteering". When that happens you can lose control of the car very easily (extremely dangerous), and believe me, you don't want that to happen.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

Pat Clark,
The case you pictured with the broken out section...how can that happen??? What would go on to cause that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

I got it that way, by the guy I got it from, did remove the steering wheel. but the column, did work right, stop to stop. I unscrewed the screw that locks the top in place, then I took the top off, and the broken parts were held in place by the grease, but you could see that it was cracked, I touched it, and it fell apart.

I would like to get the right 5-1 case, but I'm low on funds, and will take a 4-1, and mill the slot myself.

I'm just looking for a inexpensive one, someone has to sell.

Pat

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration