Brake band needs to be adjusted frequently

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brake band needs to be adjusted frequently
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Ogden on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Hey guys, just wondering how to fix this issue. I tighten up the brake band and drive around the block a couple times and it already needs to be tightened again. I'd have to cram the pedal against the floor boards to get it to stop decently well after driving it for a little while. It's a 1924 Touring by the way. I eventually want to get a set of Sure Stop brakes for it, but I can't really afford them yet. What can I do to fix this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

First what kind of band material? How long have the bands been in the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

If it's new Kevlar, then they will need several adjustments then will set in and require infrequent adjustments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

Even cotton need the same break in but more frequent adjustments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

Jared, how far was the pedal height in conjunction with the floor before you went for your drive? Like others have said, need more info, but I'm confident all the smart folks here will be able to figure it out for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Ogden on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

The pedal sits about 3-3/4" from the floor. Don't know what kind of linings they are, but I would assume they're cotton. They're from when my grandfather restored the car in 1986. Hasn't been driven a whole lot since then, just once a year in an annual parade in my town. Would like to start driving it more though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

Jared, i should have phrased the question better. When fully depressed how far is the pedal above the floor? Is it possible for you to remove the cover on the hogs head and take some pics? If you can, than we could probably get a better idea of the linings you have and see if anything seems to be out of sort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

Make sure you have the washer with good humps and a good nut to sit on the humps, otherwise, everytime you apply the brakes, the nut will loosen a bit. There's other things such as a band lining coming apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 12:16 am:

Hate to say it, but it could be a cracked drum...
Look very carefully.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 02:59 am:

My brake needs adjusting after a days driving. Suspect the drum is cracked but there is not a hope of fixing that. Will keep driving and replacing my brake bands for the foreseeable future.

Yours sounds slightly worse. Have your bands been under water? That can make them rot and wear faster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 06:27 am:

Do you have the "Transmission band adjusting nut washers" in place to keep the nuts from backing off? Langs part number 3415.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 08:55 am:

I'm not sure how long you have been driving but, It really helps to drive it like a( MODEL T). If you ever find yourself pushing hard on the brake peddle to stop, you are pushing the limit. Let off, anticipate the stops drive it like it doesen't have brakes, and then maybe it will actually stop when required. I am finally learning some of the tricks to longevity. Hopefully, you don't have mechanical problems, but leaning on the brakes will create problems. Traffic lights, seems like our brakes worst nightmare. Like the guys said, there is a brake-in period, light pressure during this time will also help to longevity. You may have even more experience driving than me, but this may help someone. Happy trails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 09:04 am:

John Warren makes a great point. You can ruin a low band (or a reverse band) if you rev the engine to the moon and then slowly, gingerly apply the pedal on every start.

Listen to the engine during this drive. The engine is at idle or slightly above when the low pedal is depressed swiftly with a minimum of band slippage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvxEv6AK5LA

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration