Best price for a Scat crank and a Stipe 280 cam?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Best price for a Scat crank and a Stipe 280 cam?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

Who currently has the best price for a standard Model T crank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Whoops, meant to say who has best price for a standard Scat crank and Stipe 280 camshaft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

Open the catalogs and take a look or look on line. Generally unless you are a wholesale customer the price from the supplier/manufacture will be in the ball park of catalog prices. They don't want to under cut the parts house too much.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/stipecamshaftspecs.htm

http://www.scatenterprises.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

I don't think there are any more Stipe 280 camshafts in stock. Snyder's or Lang's still has some 290 Stipe camshafts in stock. There are no great deals left on Scat cranks.....just walk the plank like everyone else. It's worth the price....you will never get Moldex to make one for what Scat cranks cost.
Try Chaffins for a new 280 camshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

Thanks, this will be my third Scat and I expect to be as pleased as I have been with the first two, no convincing needed for me. I also have one Chaffin 280 cam and it is excellent as well. I wonder how the Stipe 290 will work with a Rajo overhead with 1:1.5 lifters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

I would ask Glen Chaffin...his son reproduced some Rajo overheads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 12:03 am:

Mike, you can buy the crank directly from Scat. Probably the least expensive, no markup from vendor.
A 290 cam may be a bit much for an overhead with 1:1.5 rockers. It will put a lot of stress on the valve train and timing gears. When I bought my new Rajo from Mark Chaffin he recommended the model A cam or something with similar grind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 01:24 am:

Two friend of mine running Rajo 8 valve heads are using Stipe 250 cams. Model A cams were used to gain greater lift compared to a T cam. I would talk to Glen Chaffin and see what he recommends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 10:43 am:

Thanks to all who responded. Chaffin has the best price on the Scat crank and I have heard that a 250 lift cam from Chaffin is a good set up with the oh head. Looks like the way for me to go. Thanks, Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 10:53 am:

The model A cam is a good choice as the lift is a little better than the T cam profile. More importantly, it has more dwell and duration (cam toe is rounded)which allows more air/fuel mixture to be pulled into the combustion chamber. Couple this with the increase in valve lift (1:1.5 rocker ratio) makes a great combination. If using a Model T cam, no more than a 260 for best overall touring. Just my two cents. Opinions can and will vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

Our 250 and 280 cams work very well. No need to panick. I am invious of Bill Stipe and his retirement. Wish I could do the same but no one has the money to buy me out. So I guess I will just die trying to fill all the orders for Ruckstells and cams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

Mark/Glen,
Do you carry the model a cam that will fit a T with the overhead head (c35) I bought from you folks ? Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

Mike,
Using a model A cam....depending on lift, requires the cam bearing bore in the T block to be notched in order to clear the lobe. Due to the large model A cam bearing O.D. there is no-longer room to run the front & center split model T cam bearing. The A cam bearing surface runs in the cast iron block bore.

It's all been done before....however, with the new model T cams now available....why go thru the effort. Increased duration on hills does not seem to help a model T's pulling power. That's the main reason why I replaced the re-grind cam in my model T with a new cam. I did try a 4 valve Rajo head with the old re-grind cam and was not impressed with the performance. I'm more interested in how a model T performs on hills vice how fast it will go on the flat.

Just my 2 cents!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 01:15 am:

Nope. Contact Dan McEachern. While I like the Model A cam grind Dan produces, I would probably run a new .260 or .270 as that is the most practical for everyday driving. Once you go to the A cam, you open a whole can of worms. Special cam gear, machining, etc. Not to mention being able to replace the cam bearings down the road is a plus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 11:40 am:

Mike, We do not sell a reground model a cam although we do have a master to do so. It is not worth the effort. Less, increasing duration improves the high end not the low end. It actually reduces the low end. We recommend the new 250 lift cam. The Rajo rocker arms already increase lift. The 280 cam can be used but is not really needed. Increasing lift also increases the high end , not the low end. Our cams are already advanced. Advancing the cam increases the low end. The stipe cam performance can be improved by advancing it 7.5 deg.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration