COTTER PIN COUNT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: COTTER PIN COUNT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Aber on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Filling out the MTFCA safety check list of which 50% is assuring all the cotter pins are in place, got me wondering --- just how many cotter pins are there in a Model T?
Did a search of the last couple of years and didn't come up with an answer although I note the suppliers sell a "Model T Cotter Pin" collection which contains 150 of them.
Anyone ever counted them up??
Thanks, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/369142.html?1371866999

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

Mark, in your link, I read with much interest from Richard Gould as how to be perfectly correct both cotter ends should be bent down in the same direction. Makes sense to me, as another posted mentioned how in the speed of production there is no way those factory workers had the time to split and bend the ends in opposite directions.

Naturally, it'd be nice to find some additional documentation on this seldom discussed issue. I haven't even been able to find anything about it in "Bruce's Big Book"!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David J. Holland Ohio on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Murray Fahnestock states in his book on page 465 there are 95 cotters in a Model T. He maintains cotters should be split but not bent over. The head should be in a flat position not vertical. Ford named the pins cotter keys - not pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

I'm not certain but, I think I recall once seeing a piece of assembly line video that showed a line worker installing cotter pins on Ts and he was using pliers to bend over the pins one way as mentioned above. It very well could be that Henry split them during early years and switched to folding them over at some point after the assembly line started.

Is this an important issue? Yes it is.

(Message edited by 404 not found on March 22, 2015)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration