OT (Way OT): Passage of time

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT (Way OT): Passage of time
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

I arrived at Little Rock Air Force Base in July 1963 and was there until July 1967. In early 1965, two fellow lieutenants and I reached enough seniority to move off base, and the three of us rented a house in nearby Jacksonville, Arkansas. This weekend, my granddaughter wanted to hunt diamonds in Arkansas, so the family went down for a few days. No diamonds, lots of fun, and this picture on their way home.

What I said in an e-mail to my friends from those days was, "When I lived in that house, I didn't in my wildest dreams ever think that my daughter, son-in-law and eight-year-old grandchildren would be standing there 50 years later (much less taking a 'digital photo' and 'texting' it to me from a 'smartphone'!) ..."

We live in amazing times, viewed from the perspective of 50 years ago.

(Message edited by dick_lodge__st_louis_mo on March 22, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Does it seem like yesterday to you Dick?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

On the one hand, Michael, it seems like a long time ago, but on the other hand, I remember it very well. Lots of good times in those days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Okay, to make this a little bit less OT (though still non-T, but at least automotive), when I lived in that house, one of my housemates and I bought a London taxicab from an auto broker in London and had it shipped to us. A lot of work was done on that car in the carport. That taxi was probably the car that got me hooked on old cars. It was an "Austin FX3D Metropolitan Taxicab with a BMC 2.2 litre high-speed diesel engine." (I never did understand the "high-speed" part.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 11:37 am:

Dick
High-speed diesel engine means that the engine revs fast to make it's power instead of the brute force by a larger engines that US cars used. Higher revs mean more wear. At least that's the way it was explained to me. :-)

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 11:52 am:

Thanks, Steven. That car was an adventure. We paid $675 for the car, including shipping and marine insurance to Jacksonville, Florida. Lord only knows how much more ended being put into it before Don finally sold it when I was living overseas in the seventies. Most striking, I think, was the 22-foot turning circle. We could make a U-turn on a two-lane street....

Good memories (from a distance in time). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

High speed diesel means it revs faster than 550 RPM and does not need a 2 ton flywheel.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration