Sheet metal question - 1923 roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Sheet metal question - 1923 roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 06:48 am:

Folks

Am finishing up my rewood project. The sheetmetal has 2 "tabs" on each side panel that beg for some type of fastener...appears that a screw and washer belong here?

There is no bracket or other structural part that goes here...

There were similar tabs to locate the top bow irons, as well as the saddle irons, but these lugs along the side have me puzzled. Were they for fixturing the metal to the wood prior to attaching with nails?

Comments appreciated.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 07:30 am:

Mine has those too. There were no corresponding holes in the original wood when I took it apart for restoration. I speculate that they were location points for the dies used to make the parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 09:09 am:

Eric

Fabulous! Thank you for that pertinent info. My wood was total mulch, laying down in the bowels of the sheet metal, so did not have that info available. I think your idea of them being a register for the stamping process is a solid one. Thank you so much for the response. Now it's time to move on!

scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Sorry for the late response. I saw these today on a touring body seat panel and remembered this discussion. I believe these plates might be what those hole were for. Reinforcement for the wood possibly at joints in the construction.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

I think that body style (touring) had the tack rail on the inside and was made in 3 pieces. The plate at the top back was at the joint between the side and back rail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

Yes, the photo above is the front seat of a Touring. The two holes in question in Scott's body as well as a hole further up on the body panel and one possibly behind the carriage bolt are in approximately the same locations as on the Touring body. My thinking is that this is support for the driver's seat back on either a Touring or a Roadster which gets more pressure when the driver used the transmission pedals. As for a tack rail, the upholstery on these cars ('23--'25) tacks to the body structural wood. There is no separate tack rail. That is why I thought the holes is question might be for these plates.

Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

After some thought about the tack rails I did find some for sale from one of the vendors. I'm not sure where they go on '23-'25 but the '25 touring I restored didn't have them. is there a separate tack strip on the Roadster above?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 08:39 am:

Richard

No, there is no separate tack strip on this body. The wood is both structural as well as integral tack strip

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration