Week end trouble shooting for a friend

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Week end trouble shooting for a friend
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 11:50 am:

My son and myself went to a friends house to work on two of his cars.
I worked on the 26/27 touring that had no fire from the coils.
I quickly shorted the timer wires to ground (One at a time) Coils buzzed and had fire to plugs, that eliminated everything but the timer and timer wires.
I removed the timer and found some heavy grease on the contacts of an Anderson timer. Thought I had found the problem as grease is an insulator.
After cleaning the contacts, I decided to turn the engine as the flapper was to the bottom of its rotation.
Surprise, the shaft with the flapper did not move as I rotated the crank.
I removed the oil filler cap and found pieces of a fiber gear and could see the damage to the gear thru the filler hole.
My job was done as we did not have a replacement gear. The car had an alternator in place of the generator, so a fiber probably was not a good choice for that extra load. (should have used a metal gear)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

I have an Anderson packed about half full of grease, so don't let some grease fool you into thinking it is the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

Hal, I once put some grease in a roller timer. The car run terrible until I removed the grease.
Than it run on all four as it supposed to.
The Anderson may slap the contacts hard enough to cut thru the grease. Since I posted, I hear that a very light coating of some special grease is recommended on the Anderson timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

Some mechanics fail to include a gasket (using silicone sealant only) between the generator mounting casting and the side of the engine block.
This can result in incorrect generator drive gear and camshaft gear clearance which may result in failures of the (fiber) camshaft drive gear.
When I ship a rebuilt Model T generator I always recommend the purchaser check for correct gear lash by sticking their fingers down the oil filler and feel the generator gear for backlash.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Ron, thanks for the advice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 09:16 am:

I also once used Anderson's own recommended grease on my timer which made the car run poorly for about 20 minutes. Since then, I haven't used any grease which is a cause for concern. Wouldn't dielectric grease be better or even oil? I hate to argue with the company who makes the timer but, sometimes you wonder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

I wore out an Anderson using a small amount of grease as recommended. It didn't seem to last but maybe a year or so. After that, I tried Royce's trick that he uses on roller timers which is to put a handful of grease in it. Then I read on here that some were running Andersons completely dry. The theory being that dirt and other abrasive particles would stick to the grease. So now, I have one with a handful of grease and the other completely dry. Funny thing is, both have lasted a good long while now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

I've ran Anderson's with and without, and both flappers have wore out within two years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Try a TW timer. About $80 at Snyders, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 07:44 am:

Tim,

That will be my next one. As a matter of fact, I've tried 3 times to buy one, but the particular vendors were out at that particular time. But I just wanted it for the shelf. I'm not having any timer trouble at the moment. Just wanted a spare. I'll try again sometime when I'm thinking about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:10 am:

These run very nicely, dry.

I can provide a replacement fiber gear at a very good price.

I'll even include a bridge in New York in the deal.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Hal -- Why not go directly to the source?

http://www.twcomponents.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:48 am:

Steve.

If the bridge helps me get to the other side I might be interested in it.

Please provide more details:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration