Clutch adjustment question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Clutch adjustment question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark McWethy on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

I have a question that I am sure someone can answer for me. My clutch seems to work fine. It doesn't slip and my TT seems to go down the road just fine. My question is that my clutch pedal seems to have to travel a long ways before the clutch engages (appox the last 1" to 2"). If I would try to adjust it which way would I have to turn the screws to make it engage sooner? I have read the suggested method and I still would like someone with experience to give me their opinion.
Many thanks,
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

Sounds pretty normal to me.

I've only had my T for a little over a year, so I don't qualify as an expert, but if your high clutch doesn't slip and you have a good, free neutral and a considerable distance on the pedal between low band engagement and high clutch engagement, consider yourself blessed!

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark McWethy on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Thanks Mark. Yes I do have a good free neutral. Yes the clutch engages and I don't seem to have slip. That is why I asked the question as I have never had something to compare it to.
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

I'm with Mark. Leave it alone. Sounds perfect to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

It sounds to me like your low pedal linkage is out of adjustment, and you are wasting clutch travel.

Herm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark McWethy on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark McWethy on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

Any other comments could be very helpful.
Thanks for being there for me.
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

If you want to check your low pedal linkage adjustment, here is a description of the procedure that has been posted several times in the forum:

free_neutral

free_neutral01

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

If you have a standard Model T clutch, you should push it almost to the floor for low. It locks up in low between 1" and 1 1/2 " above the floorboard. And all the way back is high. The pedal will stop moving when you reach high gear and about 1 inch below high gear you will find neutral. I have heard of some TT's with auxiliary transmission which have the low band removed. In that case it would work like the clutch in a modern stick shift. It would still be in gear with the pedal all the way back.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration