Mounting bracket for a horn, 1915 roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Mounting bracket for a horn, 1915 roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

I am looking for a bracket to purchase or a paper tracing of the bracket to mount a horn. I tried Hershey, and a friend Chickasha, and no luck.

let me know what you have, and any help is appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

I don't have a drawing, but here's a photo showing how my Stewart is attached.

I have no idea what the original purpose of this Chrysler part was, but it wouldn't be hard to make something like this. That's a rolled up bit of inner tube behind it to stabilize it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

Why would you want to drill holes in your nice car for a horn that was never used in the first place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 12:42 am:

Never used? Look at old pictures of 1915-1916 Fords and you'll see aftermarket mechanical horns. The cars didn't come with them, but a some folks used them. As for drilling holes, mine was like that when I got it. The only screws into the car are the two on the inside. The top ones just hold the bracket together. That said, if I were making a bracket I'd make it to clamp on with no holes. In fact, I think I'll make one like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 01:15 am:

Steve:

The reason for your Chrysler part is to avoid drilling into the sheet metal on top of the sill. Instead, the drilling is done on the side, into the wood.

Below is the "correct" method to mount your horn.

One problem with that style of mounting is when you find Stewart horns with that style of bracket at swap meets, the strap that is fastened to the sheet metal sill is usually missing. Most likely, when the car was sold or scrapped, the horn was kept but the owner never bothered to remove that strap. The straps only seem to have survived if the car survived with the horn intact.

I think the reason for having the large nut is so the horn can be easily removed in case you want to take it with you when you leave the car (to avoid the horn being stolen). However, with that being said, if you did leave the horn with the car it could easily be stolen by simply removing the large nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 01:17 am:

Here's a better bracket, in my opinion.

This is on my father's '17. The bracket attaches to the horn and then makes a 90 degree twist so it is parallel to the door.

That allows the bracket to be screwed to the wood on the side. No need to drill into any sheet metal.

Too bad I don't have a photo of the interior side on my computer so I could show you exactly how it is attached but I'm sure you'll understand the idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 08:47 am:

Steve..thanks for your March 24 post of the picture of that '15 Touring....that picture of what is clearly an original, no doubt unaltered '15 with all the brass trim and the infamous carriage bolt in front of the rear door just adds to my contention that not ALL '15s with "the bolt" are re-constituted '16s!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 10:34 am:

John

I have a bracket just like the one that Steve Jelf pictured, but check your horn case dimensions.

The bracket I have has a distance between the two horn uprights (i.d.) of 2 3/8".

PM me if interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

I measured mine and it is around 2" . he mounting bracket in the above picture is the one that will work the best. Erik, can you hint at a thickness of the steel? also if you can take a photo of the inside of the door so I can make sure that it is correct when I reproduce it.

It would also help if you can give me the thickness of the narrow vertical part so I can figure out the correct curves.

If anyone has one I can copy I will make a few extras. I will get them water-jetted out and the person who gives me a tracing will get an extra one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Is there any replacement parts available for these type of horns?
I need the rack that pushes in for one, the rack in the horn I have has stripped gears. Don't know the make off hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:48 am:

I too have one of these horns without a bracket. If you do make some up, I would be interested in getting one.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Forgot the picture.

Horn rack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

My 15 is a rust bucket but here is are some pictures of my bracket that may give you some ideas for your own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

John, OT, but what is the maroon color on your wheels, they look FAB?!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

the color on the wheels was picked out by my daughter as it is her car. A couple of years back, Mr Rootlieb gave away a running chassis in an essay contest and she was the winner. this is the progress so far.

the color is an RAL number, but I cannot remember it at this time, I took a photo of the can for you.

this is her painting the rear end of the car. She does a really good job, and although she might miss a spot or two, that's the beauty of it, it was done by her.

If I can get an original " twist bracket" or a template of it, I will make some and have them at cost for members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

Here is an example

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

another example

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

I can make you a template of the above bracket. I also need one made up. you can email me at: oneof514@aol.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

Wayne sent you a PM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

I need some clarification. I understood all early 15s came with a bulb horn and later models were fitted with a mag horn?? Did some models come with no horn?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:09 am:

My understanding is mechanical horns were popular accessories because the mag horn was hard to hear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 02:29 am:

Here is a picture of another similar but slightly different mounting bracket for a mechanical horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 03:31 am:

David, no T's came from the factory without a horn. 10,000 '15:s got magneto horns during the first half of 1915, later the magneto horn was standard for all T's and the bulb horn was dropped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 11:21 am:

Did anyone notice the '15 body at Chickasha with the two horn mounting holes on the front of the original firewall?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 11:40 am:

Did anyone notice the '15 body at Chickasha with the two horn mounting holes on the front of the original firewall?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 11:44 am:

You mean this one Larry?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Larry

Ask and you shall receive :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Those firewalls seem very similar to this one. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 06:58 am:

Can someone please tell me how to service a mechanical horn, mine is sluggish in operation and the button takes quite some time to return to its original position. I am terrified to open it and have springs and little screws flying around.
Perhaps an exploded diagram would do?

Paul Hoogendoorn, South Africa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Paul

If you work on your T, then you can fix a hand Klaxon horn. :-)

No rocket science, open up the horn by removing the bell. Inside is a diaphragm, that has a toothed center that is rubbed by the gear. That vibrates the diaphragm. There is a rewind spring and you could work on that.

Klaxon '3' style.

But for me its just as easy as adding a 'support' spring, by twisting a coil spring around the plunger shaft. Solved the issue of slow return, and also stopped an annoying rattle of the plunger when running down the road :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:56 am:

Keen idea, Dan !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 05:11 am:

Thanks a lot Dan! Do any of the parts require oil or a smear of grease once I have cleaned them?

Paul Hoogendoorn, South Africa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

Yep

Do add some grease, all moving/rubbing parts like a little dab of lube :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration