Radiator recore or new

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Radiator recore or new
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

Tanks and outlets are nice clean and solid hony comb core is plugged but neat after market perfex brass 09 15 radiator
Just want see what others would advise recore it or buy a new repop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Bob
Buy a gallon of vinegar. Seal off the filler neck and lay it on it's front. Pour in the vinegar. Maybe buy two gallons. I've had some good luck with this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

A good toilet bowl cleaner also does wonders. Let it soak for 30-45 minutes and rinse well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

My 1915 radiator wasn't doing the job, even after thorough cleaning. I went with a recore because I like the original tank better than the repops, which aren't quite the same. It also saved me a few Benjamins.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG96.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Thanks mr Jelf stated i lke the old tanks
I going try cleaning it what do i have to loose

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Bob
If you can save it for less than $10.00!!! I like vinegar as it is so gentle on the brass and solder and is easy to dispose of when your done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

Why would you want to recore a honneycomb? The tanks and the inlet and outlet don't look anything like the original! Dump it and find a good Ford radiator that you can do something with!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 12:54 am:

Larry got a low black one but if i had go that rout i just buy a new one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 12:59 am:

Gonna try vinager just water i got alot wasp nests outof it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 09:39 am:

Bob - FWIW, I checked into re-coring my period correct honeycomb radiator for my Speedster last year, with a new honeycomb core. Very pricey. Almost as much as a new rad from the vendors. I had a local rad shop clean it and repair a few minor leaks for $60. No problems with it now. Cools well, never overheats, and looks great on the Speedster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Dave,

If you found a shop that will work on a honeycomb, you are a very lucky guy. Most shops around here will not even touch them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

Bob,If you can get it clean a honey comb has about six times the cooling compared to a tube type. My old 24 has one on it and I have not run a fan for the last four years. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

Thought about buying this brass radiator.

Think it could use a good cleaning or a re-core? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Dan

I wouldn't be so quick to recore that. You might get by with just installing a water pump instead!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Dan, that is what I've been looking for if the price is right! And I am serious. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

Keith. I have a good one in the attic that appears usable as is. I'll get some pictures of it this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

That would be great Gary. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

That all for the glimmer of hope i had several pre 15 cars with honey comb cores never had any issues
I upload a pic but i click and says choose file but no browse icon sorry gents

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:52 pm:

Gary i fill it off the car and the core is restricted in simple flow test

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 05:47 am:

Bob. I was only joking with Dan at the picture he posted of the early radiator that clearly has a bad core. It has for years been where folks cover up bad radiators with water pumps.

On your honeycomb radiator I would probably try to clean it chemically with something such as phosphoric acid or CLR.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration