Dissassembly- Texas T Distributor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Dissassembly- Texas T Distributor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

The head on my Texas T distributor doesn't fit well on the tube that houses the shaft and this slop causes the points gap to change randomly which results in rough running. How does this distributor come apart? has anyone else had to fix this issue and how did you do it? I think if I can get the thing apart, I can make a bushing to snug things up. I read the great article about distributor maint. in the Jan/Feb issue of "Vintage Ford" but it didn't describe how to disassemble the head from the rest of the distributor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Talk to Jon Allen:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/526027.html?1427237901

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 04:33 pm:

Chester,
By the "head" I assume you mean what is usually called the "cap" (the plastic top where the wires plug in and is held on by clips). By the "tube that houses the shaft" I assume you mean the "body" or "head" of the distributor.
The plastic cap has a square extension on the bottom edge that must fit into a square depression in the distributor body. The square extension on the cap MUST BE LINED UP with the depression in the head. This locks the cap in the proper position on the head.
I'm not quite sure what the problem is because of these vocabulary issues, so please try to clarify the problem a bit more. Pictures might help.
I will help if I can.
Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

That's not what I meant. I need to remove the head that houses the points from the shaft that it rotates on. There is slop in the fit that affects the points gap and I need to make a bushing to go in it so the gap stays consistent. I already have the cap off and made sure the rotor shaft was snug but when I wiggle the head, the points gap changes. I spoke with a rep from Chaffins on the phone last night who explained there is a screw on the side of the head that when removed allows it to come off. The rotor shaft is coupled using an off set tang so that it can only go back on one way and thus timing is maintained when it's re installed. I have said this before in past threads but will mention it again. We are very fortunate to have vendors that are customer focused. This is the second time I've been contacted by vendors after posting a question on the forum. Please let these folks know how much they are appreciated. We do this for fun. They do it for a living.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 02:50 am:

Chester - I get what you're trying to say, and I agree. There's some pretty decent "shoemakers" on this forum that are willing to help guys "fix their own shoes" so to speak,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 09:17 am:

Bosch parts lists often show that distributor shaft bushing.

The availability has not been determined.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration