Generator repair question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Generator repair question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

My generator died recently due to fried wiring it seems. I could send it out or replace it but, I like to try any and all T repairs myself hoping to learn along the way. I have never worked on a generator before and only know so much about how they work so don't laugh too hard. The armature showed almost no wear as did the original Ford script, Stackpole marked brushes. I cleaned it all up and installed new field coils and brushes as well as cleaning out the grooves in the small part of the armature. After reassembly, there was some binding while turning the gear. I opened it up again and as expected, the field coil blocks were rubbing on the large part of the armature. I used all the force I could to tighten the field coil screws some more and now, there is only light rubbing. Now here comes the dumb question, can the armature touch the blocks at all or does this cause an electrical short? Thanks for any help. Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

Dave, there is a tool made to expand the pole shoes against the case. If there is still a repair shop in your area they can probably help you out. I always try and mark the position before I remove them but they really should be expanded to make sure they stay anyway. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Did you check the armature on a growler?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

I did test the armature. What I really need to know is, does it cause a short if the armature touches the field coil blocks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

Dave
In reply to your specific question; rubbing of the armature on the pole shoes will NOT cause a generator short.
Rebuilding a Model T generator is a trap for logical people. Installation of a new field winding requires special tools to get it right. That requires a pole shoe spreader, pole shoe screwdriver and a pole shoe gauge to get the pole shoes in the proper place.
screwdriver
gauge
There are several other areas of generator rebuilding that are not intuitive and you need to be careful of. Give me a call if you need some help.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Dave
In reply to your specific question; rubbing of the armature on the pole shoes will NOT cause a generator short.
Rebuilding a Model T generator is a trap for logical people. Installation of a new field winding requires special tools to get it right. That requires a pole shoe spreader, pole shoe screwdriver and a pole shoe gauge to get the pole shoes in the proper place.
spreader
screwdriver
gauge
There are several other areas of generator rebuilding that are not intuitive and you need to be careful of. Give me a call if you need some help.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 08:55 am:

Thanks Ron and everyone else. I can see that the tools in you photos are clearly the answer. I might try to get my hands on some. I thought I would try and fix it myself. I'm not dealing with an old, rotting generator found in a scrap pile. This is an excellent condition one that has worked great for many years. It suddenly stopped working likely due to burned insulation. The car had rotten original wiring and was wired positive ground which I've repaired. My car has a great battery and a working magneto so repairing the generator is not crucial. Installing it on the car is also very easy so I figure I have little to lose. Still, I want everything on the car to work as it should. I also have access to a great deal on a professionally rebuilt generator if need be. Ron, I would be glad to call you and I know you would help but, last time I did, it cost me $80.00 extra on my phone bill. I just can't do that. Anyway, I will work at it and see what happens and post the results. Thanks again .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration