Question about pistons

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question about pistons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Scott Fancher on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

2 of my pistons have holes drilled in them where the oil ring goes on but the other 2 dont will it be fine to run them like this. Its been like this for the 50 years my grandpa had the car and it ran decent before I took it apart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

as long as its apart, it would be nice to balance them. its easier on the poor old crankshaft

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

The pistons with oil rings would be replacements at some time, originals just ran 3 cast iron compression rings, the oil ring pistons could even be much lighter than the other 2 as well, see how it all measures up, but I'm sure it would be due for a rebore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

frank is right, nothing like a fresh healthy motor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

IMHO it would be crazy to consider putting iron pistons back in (I'm assuming that's what you've got).
A new set of aluminum pistons and rings is relatively cheap and your crank shaft will love you for it. ;o)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration