Cleaning early switch contacts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cleaning early switch contacts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:21 am:

While at Chickasha, someone told me that I could clean the contacts for my KW coilbox with a certain brand of toilet bowl cleaner. Does any one know what the brand might be, or another that would work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:26 am:

The Works

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:51 am:

The Works is 20% hydrochloric acid. Any toilet bowl cleaner with the hydrochloric acid will work the same - just look at the label.

Otherwise, if you already have muriatic acid on the shelf you can make your own diluted mixture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 01:03 pm:

Muriatic acid is an old name for hydrochloric acid. They're both the same stuff (HCl). Some bowl cleaners use phosphoric acid (H3PO4). I suspect that would work too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

I thought most folks would already know that hydrochloric acid and muriatic were one in the same.

When you buy it at the hardware store, the bottle is usually prominently labeled muriatic acid.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/cleaners-thinners-removers/paint-stain-cleane rs/water-based/sunnyside-muriatic-acid/p-1479906-c-14360.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

Is safe handling that you can add acid to water but never water to acid?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Here's an antique balloon pump that I conserved last week.

I cleaned up the brass tubing and the cast bronze fixture at the base with "The Works" and then used brass polish. Prior to cleaning, the brass was tarnished brown like an old penny. Could use a little more brass polish and elbow grease, however. I also cleaned the leather bellow with saddle soap then treated it with leather balm followed by black shoe polish and buffing with a shoe brush.

When you soak brass in hydrochloric acid, sometimes it takes on an orange hue which then must be polished off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

Antique Italian brass cymbal that a I cleaned last week when I was working on the balloon pump above.

Quick wash with "The Works" followed by brass polish by hand. Doesn't look orange in person but very white. Flash with digital camera makes it look more orange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

I used some Lysol toilet bowl cleaner for the job. I let the parts soak for about 5 minutes, and they really came out clean. All I had to do was hit them with a little 0000 steel wool, and they looked like new. Thanks for the tips.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration