Rebuild of TT Ruckstell axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rebuild of TT Ruckstell axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerard de Bruin on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

Hello all,

I'am busy rebuilding my TT Ruckstell axle and have a question regarding the play between the 2 parts shown in the following picture.

First question: does these 2 parts needs to have small play in radial direction? or is this surface not used as bearing surface?

Second question: I have some wear at the ring gear, is it possible to turn the gear so the side of the teeth without wear are used when driving in forward direction?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

Gerard, to answer your first question: yes, there is play between these two pieces. The axle gear diameter should measure about 2.190" and the outer housing inside diameter should measure about 2.195". Make sure that you also have a good fiber washer (shown in picture below) to install here that has about .010" - .020" of play when everything is tightened.

For your second question: yes, you can turn around the ring gear to get a better wear surface for forward driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

Gerard. You are going to have lots of clearance ring gear to worm gear. Turning around wont fix that.The worm is preset above the ring gear and there is not much you can do about it, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

If there's any question about your axle the MTFCA Ruckstell book doesn't cover, ask Glen Chaffin. He wrote the book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

Boy Gerald that's a beautiful gear. I don't see them that nice very often. I wouldn't worry about running that brass gear in either direction but first choice would be to leave it the original way since it is matched to running like that.

Justin, do you have a specification sheet on these? I have been looking for a copy for a while now if you want to share.. Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 07:18 am:

Fred, no I don't have a sheet, the specifications that I stated above are from the MTFCA Ruckstell book.

It looks like the gear has already been turned around in the picture based on where the wear surface is. While you can turn it around, it appears that the gear teeth are worn evenly from side to side so I'm not sure there is any need to turn it and as Fred says it will stay matched with the worm if left alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerard de Bruin on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

Hello All,

Thanks again for the support!

The play is 3 mm at the moment so way to much. I will make a bush that will limit the play.

I don't think that I will turn the ring gear, A mentioned the ring gear is in a reasonable good condition.

Gerard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerard de Bruin on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

Hello All,

How thin can I go with the fiber washer? It is 0,06" thick at the moment and it is still not moving freely. I am afraid that if I make the washer thinner it will break after a while.

Gerard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Gerard, I believe that mine ended up at about 0.08" when done. Do you have all burrs and nicks cleaned up on the faces that touch the washer? I don't have the Ruckstell book in front of me but I believe that the typical thickness for that washer is 0.08" - 0.10".

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration