Paint removal help please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Paint removal help please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

Model B wheels with 3-4 layers of paint. Is there some consumer or home brew I can soak the wheels in to dissolve the paint in a matter of days? Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

aircraft paint remover, apply with a brush, place wheel in plastic bag, wait for about 30 minutes, scrape off paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

When I was 7 or 8, dad took the four wood wheels off a T he bought, gave me a propane torch and paddy knife and I cleaned several layers of paint off them. A quick pass over the paint and it bubbled up and came right off. I did manage to pass the flame over the back of one hand and the skin bubbled up like the paint. Even to day at 72, I bleed if I bump that portion of my hand so be careful, wear gloves, I did not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

Yeah thanks Harry, I'll just stick to the paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

Paint stripper will work, but you have to cover every inch of the paint with enough stripper let it soak and them scrape it all off. Lousy job on wire wheels.

An easier way is to use caustic soda. Cheap to buy, dissolve in water. use a container that will hold the wheel and let soak. If the solution is heated the process will be faster.

When softened hose off the paint.

Obvious precautions: it removes paint so burns skin, so wear gloves, goggles, old clothes with long sleeves.

This method is what restorers of old furniture use to strip paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

I bought a product called "Soy Gel" from a wood working place, it has mostly natural products and won't burn, I applied it in a thick coat as recommended on some wood wheels that Zip Strip wouldn't touch, I then wrapped them in stretch wrap and let them sit for a day or two and then power washed them and it all came off, I only had a couple of places that the paint had soaked into that I need to sand, it'2 $30.00 a quart her in TN.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Years ago when I bought my blasting cabinet I made sure it would accommodate a T block and wire wheels. Paint comes off a lot easier than rust, and then the powder coater does a better job than my painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

I assume {dangerous, I know} that some respondents have read model B as later than 28-31 A models, and thus wire wheels are in play. If the model B is a pre T car then the wheels will be wooden and the stripping advice will apply.

A word of caution on the caustic soda stripping. This will also burn wood. If you have a consistent paint cover then it should work well. It needs careful monitoring. Once some wood is exposed, that area will be damaged if the wheels are left to get the rest of the paint off.

Don't ask how I know this!!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 10:52 am:

A few years ago I had read that Dawn Power Dissolver would remove paint. I bought some and tried it on an old 1920s Model T fender which still had paint on it. I smeared some on and covered it with cellophane and let it sit overnight. It worked, even on that old paint.Dawn dissolver

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration