AC accessory brake help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: AC accessory brake help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

I have a set of original AC accessory brakes for my TT. After pulling the old lining off of them I see that one of the circumference straps has lost a fair amount of its thickness due to rust. Is there anyone who rebuilds accessory brakes or at least can supply the proper steel for this use?

As a side note in the event that anyone is interested, the lining shown below is what I believe to be the original lining for the brakes. The brand and type markings were well preserved. "Raybestos 240 Made in USA"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

Raybestos made bands and band linings for the T also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

Justin, I think those will make very nice brakes for you. I recently made some very similar to those for the front of my car. I can't tell how much thickness you really have left but they may work just fine unless you want cleaner material showing. You can get some new hot or cold rolled steel about 1/8" thick from a supply place. I formed mine over a round cylinder then cut it to the right length. McMaster Carr has the brass rivets and the lining you can use.

If you need more help send me a PM or post here. I'm not home at the moment so I can't give you any more details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

Thanks Gene. I'm going to blast them and check the thickness of the worst parts. I wasn't sure if I needed some type of stronger steel for the band if it was replaced. I may end up just leaving the worst one as it is.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration