"The Race Of The Century" 2016, new alternative to the Great Race

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: "The Race Of The Century" 2016, new alternative to the Great Race
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 07:05 am:

I just saw a note at Facebook about The Race of the Century, a new event for 100 year plus old cars driving across USA to be held September 9-25 2016.
The organizers has held a similar event for old motorcycles for some years, the Motorcycle Cannonball.

The entry cost for a driver and a navigator is $3,500.

Rules and presentations of some that already signed can be found at their website: http://www.centuryrace.com/

No, I'm not dreaming of driving it, just thought someone would be interested :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 07:25 am:

Looks like a blast, and there is already a T entered:

http://www.centuryrace.com/the-drivers?pid=58&sid=64:69-lonnie-isam-jr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 07:38 am:

I would need to win Powerball this weekend in order to be able to do this, but will if I win and if my 1917 Model T Canopy Express Delivery built in 1916 qualifies.

Happy motoring,

Warren

1917 Model T Ford Canopy Express Delivery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 08:13 am:

The Would be 1916 T entered look's a little strange if only to me?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 08:21 am:

Yeah - he's got a later radiator shell but it's painted brass color. It looks incredibly odd to me. Didn't a real 16 have a brass rad?

I would LOVE to run my speedster in this race. Lol, you'd need quite the pit crew though. 3,500 miles means at least 3 oil changes. Although you'd be pretty confident of the bullet-proofness of your car if it made it the whole way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Dwyer in Troy, New York on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 08:46 am:

Looks like the organizers aren't being very particular about enforcing the "100 year old" rule. Too bad.

The idea of a 100 year old car race is a great idea. The Interstate Batteries Great American Race is open to, what, 1936? Anything above 1930 or thereabouts is hardly competitive with something from the 'teens. It's one reason why I don't tour with local clubs and why I dropped the CCCA when I had my 1926 Packard.

But if all cars were factory-stock 100 years old or more, that would be a challenge. No visible modifications newer than 100 years old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Seth, you're right. The caption is wrong. That RPU is 17-22, not 1916. A bit of gold paint doesn't change that.

Here's a real 1916 Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Formally it's incorrect to enter a 1917-22 as a '16, but technically they're about the same, so the challenge to drive over the continent would be the same. The organizers seems to be mostly concerned with carbs being the same as original, so let's hope he has a Kingston Model L2 or Holley Model G instead of a NH then ;)

http://www.centuryrace.com/the-rules-of-the-race

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Roger the rules seem pretty vague. It looks to me like any prospective racer will just have to submit photos of what they have and see what the race officials say. I mean, do they only want factory correct carbs? What about era correct accessory carbs? Not that it matters since I won't be in the race but would my Zenith S4BF qualify since it's a correct Model T carb?

Unless they tighten things up a bit in regards to what is allowed or not, my speedster would SMOKE that "16" RPU. Unless he's got a Rajo hiding under there. But even that - it's period correct. What about accessory transmissions? Lots of questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 11:05 am:

I would really enjoy making this tour and I DO NOT want to offend anyone or change any rules, as others have mentioned what constitutes a 100 year old vehicle?

FORD 19171918 MODEL T: The Model T for 1917 looked like an all-new car but was a rather simple evolution from the 1916. The brass radiator and the small hood were gone, as were all bits of brass trim.
I.D. DATA: (1917] Serial number was above the water inlet on the left side of the engine. Starting: 1362990 (August 1, 1916.) Ending: 2113501 (July 28, 1917. end of fiscal 1917.) 1917 Calendar year engine numbers: 1614517 to 2449179. Numbers stamped on the body sills, etc. were manufacturer's numbers and not an identifying number. [1918] Serial numbers was above the water inlet on the left side of the engine. Starting: 2113502 (August 1, 1917.) Ending: 2756251 (July 27, 1918, end of fiscal 1918.) 1918 Calendar year engine numbers: 2449180 to 2831426. Numbers stamped on the body sills, etc. were manufacturer's numbers and not an identifying number.

As stated 1917 Model T production started on August 1st, 1916, now I am not claiming that was when my T was built, only that a 1917 Model T built in 1916 would be an 100 year old car.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 11:20 am:

If you can't receive help from anyone on your team during the day, what the hell is the point of having a mechanic ride with you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Here ya go.....

"As long as the engine and frame in your automobile are original then it's eligible to run for the prize".

I'm beginning to think they didn't plan this out very well.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 11:28 am:

I guess I'll just have to wait another 11 years to enter mine, so I'll just start saving my nickels and dimes!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

If they're pocketing $3500 per car, they probably aren't going to get too fussy about who they turn away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 05:44 pm:

Who would want to beat the crap out of themeselves and their car and pay $3,500 for the priviledge?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

Who would want to beat the crap out of themselves and their car and pay $3,500 for the privilege

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Looks like it would be fun, but too fast and too short. That's a long time to sit in a Model T - 300 miles a day. Why not start in New York like the Lincoln Highway or Plymouth Rock like the Yellowstone Trail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 07:12 am:

I can just see Constantine with a big smile on his face when he reads about the fellows saying it's too long and too rough and will beat themselves up on a trip like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 07:24 am:

Lol Dennis - what's Constantine got left? Only 2 trips I can think of: Portugal to the Bering Strait and then he might as well start the second trip cause he's already at the starting point. From the Bering Straight to the southern tip of Argentina. =D When are you planning on those Constantine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

Wow, a model K is in it. Looks like more fords than anything else. I do like the 1916 DB touring from my home state of WA.

This should be fun to watch and I hope they get more entries.

The details of what car qualifies will matter to folks like us so I hope they get it ironed out a little better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 08:02 am:

This would be a great experience and l don't think you'd destroy a solidly restored T doing it. In fact, it will be harder for the driver than it would be for the T as 16 days of around 300 miles a day with only one rest day will be physically tough even for someone in good shape. If it's well planned and organized an entry fee of $3500 is very good considering the entry fee for the Peking to Paris is about 20 times more. On the Melbourne to Moscow trip my car, which is still in Russia, did take a severe beating on African roads and from scorching temperatures in Sudan and Iran but it still got me there with help from this forum and friendly locals when l warped my Z head in holy Shiite city of Qom, Iran!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Seth, as a matter of fact l have a rough outline for a new trip. As a firm believer of one-upmanship, it will be no less of a challenge. Trying to decide whether to use my 13 which needs a lot of work or find another car. Anyone know of a good 1915-25 roadster or pickup? How about an accessory 4x4 kit? Looking for partners so if anyone is interested in joining the battle send me a message.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:34 am:

Conatantine
I sent you a pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

Well, the gentleman from South Dakota could actually have an eligible car. Ford made about 200,000 '17 style cars during the '16 calendar year. The rules for the race appear to allow all cars built before '17.

I'd like to do some serious distance touring like this in the future, but I've got a couple of kids to send off to college before it will fit into my schedule.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Seth, funny you mention the Bering Strait...The Russians are coming...RIGHT NOW!!!

see:
http://www.yemelya.ru/diary2015_en.php?lnk=2015

Think it might be possible to fit such tyres to 30x3.5 wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Back in the early 70s in Beverly Hills I had to trailer a 1910 Buick that had participated in the Gleddon Tour. Even in my early T student days somethings didn't seem right. It had all the features of a car from the early 20's. Standard 3speed shift on floor, outside rear brakes. No brass radiator. Years later I found that a number of people had gotten busted because they paid off some official or DMV to change the year on the Regs. Also the 16 could be correct. 17 model built in late 16. Also could be an early engine, we've seen this before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

This is a 1910 Buick

This is what I trailered.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration