Anyone Familiar with this Speedster - Fender set up?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Anyone Familiar with this Speedster - Fender set up?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 08:20 am:

Hi all. For those who like the look of a Stutz or Mercer, I really think this guy nailed it. I believe the fender set up is the combo of standard '12 front fenders & '12 Torpedo rears. I see how he lowered it (more detailed pics of this car are on the Bonham's website & you can see that) but here is my question - look closely at where the fenders sit, stock front fenders seem to sit higher than most? Yet he has what appears to be stock splashpans in place as well - in other words, is this heavy sheetmetal work, or am I missing something?

I absolutely love this car and cannot believe it sold for around $16K not too long ago according to the auction results.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who can provide some answers. Mine won't be this low, but I want to take some queues from this car to get as similar a look as possible.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 08:25 am:

To clarify - the fender height seems to accomadate the lowered chassis, allowing wheel clearance - the picture probably explains my question, but I now see I could have stated my question a little more clearly. tops of the fenders sure look higher against the hood than what one usually sees.

Related, but I do not think so from my research -are the '12 fenders "higher" than the later say, '14 fenders, or is the eyebrow and detail on topside of the fenders the primary difference?

Again, THANKS all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 08:34 am:

Steven, you are correct that those fenders are much higher than normal, at least 6 inches, maybe more. Normally the tops of the front fenders are even with just above the middle of the vertical part of the hood.

Someone else may be able to tell you better but to me it looks like he just bent them up, and then maybe bent the tops back down to make them closer to level. The flat part on top would normally be level. Do you have any more pictures of the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 08:35 am:

I think the fenders have been modified for clearance to the wheels on a lowered chassis. I think most 1909-25 T's has about the same height of the front fenders except for the lowered drop frame 1925 european built T's.

The top of the fenders was about horizontal on '09-'15 T's, while they have quite a slant on this speedster.
Maybe the original fastening to the running boards were kept while the front end of the fenders were raised to gain clearance where it was needed?

The modification needed in the fender support iron and the attachment to the frame wouldn't be so hard to make (with the right tools..) It depends if you like the slant or not..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 09:33 am:

Well I can think of two possible answers;
1. They added a piece to the "skirt" of the front fenders. This would be the easy way, but would look pretty "back yard" I suspect
2. Custom made. I have made fenders for "non Fords". You don't need much for tools. A wide throat "bead roller" and some basic hand tools and some layout cardboard. Be prepared to make some scrap. I was fortunate to have a skilled experienced guy to work with. It is a two man job as the panels get big and unwieldy. I made a set of fenders for a '12 Cadillac

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:24 am:

The headlights and hood look to be from a 15. I think the fenders are from 15 also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Les has it, the builder used a skirt to up lift the headlamp/fender bracket up front. That put the fenders in higher position. The look is enhanced by the lowered chassis and the 21" wire wheels, dropped down for nice speedster look.

Close up of how the skirt is part of the headlamp/fender bracket, the skirt is likely bolted to the frame rail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 11:31 am:

That would look so much "Speedier" with 30 x 3 / 3.5's for the wheel size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Ahh, I just happen to have those for my project Nicholas!

Appreciate the detective work and benefit of the group's experience! I think the car is in fact a '15 on the Bonham's site, where there are some more pics. Ours won't be so low that I would need to do this (skirt, bending the fenders or fabricating) but I was curious how they accomplished that look with the standard fenders.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration