1912 Commercial Roadster Top Installatioon

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1912 Commercial Roadster Top Installatioon
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Quigley on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:23 am:

I am planning to install a new top on the 1912 Commercial Roadster with a mother in law seat. It is a 3 part cover, right and left panels and the center panel which rolls up in the center. Some instructions say to nail the right and left rear panels to the seat back. Some use swivel fasteners connecting to the seat back. Other drawings show a leather strap attaching to footman loops on the rear bow. The front seat is the old, plywood contoured seat. Any advice would be appreciated. I prefer to use the swivel snaps for complete top removal for aesthetics and convenience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

Tom,

I think you will find the leather straps with footman loops are a common feature of touring and runabout tops. They are to counteract the tension in the top when stretched in place. Otherwise, your rear curtain would have to resist the tension.

The swivel (Murphy?) connectors sound like a good idea if you plan to completely remove the top on occasion. Remember, they come in different lengths depending on how many thicknesses of material you are going through. Where the sides and the rear overlap needs a double.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Tom-
Tops in this era generally had the two leather straps in back along with a roll up rear curtain. The straps are attached to the rear bow with footman loops, the bottom with a loop ring around the top iron. The side pieces of the rear curtain are attached to the body and the roll up portion is attached with a common sense fasteners. Ford often used Murphy fasteners. For 1912 the front straps would be held on to the front bow with footman loops and the strap would go the a loop in near the windshield hinge.

Are you making the top yourself or doing a kit?

Send me your e-mail and I can send you a better image of this.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

BTW, I was wondering about your comment,"The front seat is the old, plywood contoured seat."

I believe these were all steel by 1912, like this:

This one is listed on T-bay right now, for the bargain price of $24995.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superb-1912-Model-T-Ford-Mother-In-Law-Seat-Roadster-Body-Brass-Era-Pre-16-1911-/181518586693

Do you have any pictures of what you are working on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Quigley on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

I am using Classtique top. The top looks like the drawing you provided except the leather strap connects with the front fender brace. It has a Metzger windshield. The body looks like the photo from ebay. I just got it painted and it looks great.

I would appreciate a copy of the drawing, as I am in the process of covering the bows readying to put it together. I can send pictures but not on MFTCA site. I have tried several times, but have not had success. My email is tjquigley6@gmail.com. TQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

Keith...is it just me, or that an insane price for that body? Of course askin's one thing, gettin's another. Just the same, makes me think then that once I'm done with the resto on my beloved "Pete", a '12 Comm. Roadster pickup, he ought to be worth a bundle!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration