Front turn signals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front turn signals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:36 am:

I have seen a lot of kerosene tail lights electrified as stop lights, or running lights. I don't think I have seen many kerosene cowl lamps electrified for use as front turn signals. Any reason why this wouldn't be a workable solution?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:44 am:

All that it takes is bulbs, sockets, wires, switch, flasher and power.

I just wonder if someone would see them because they are not in a location people would normally look

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Fred is absolutely correct. They should be where the chimps that talk expect them to be. I'll add 2 additional items: 1, don't expect them to make a real difference in your driving experience. It didn't in mine any way and 2, If your going to do it I'd add 2 filament bulbs and make the lanterns running lights and turn signals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

There was episode of Wheeler Dealers; they were getting a 1903 Darracq auto ready for the London to Brighton Run. The car had kerosene lamps that they wanted to convert to high intensity LED's without damaging the originals, they redesigned a duplicate of the wick holder using a computer but modified it to hold an LED lamp socket. The part was made using a 3D printer and it worked perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

I cut a round white plastic disk that fit just inside the "door" and mounted an LED marker light to the disk. The wires were run out of the vent at the top of the light. No changes were made to r the original light. The disc was made from a lid of a plastic container. This is bright enough that I can not imagine that it is less visible than similiar lights on any other vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

One of the suppliers sells a wire ring with a light socket that just slips in the kerosine light groove behind the door. A wire can be run out through holes in the chimney. I used cotton loom covered wire from Restoration Supply for a period look. For the back I found another tail light, cut off the license plate bracket and mounted it on the left rear. A "hidden" signal controller and switch from Lang's and I had blinkers for my 15 Touring. There are different options for the stop light switch covered previously here. Works great and does not really detract from the period look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 12:38 am:

I wired up my cowl lamps for turn signals. -The glass lenses, of course are clear and should stay that way, so I just took an orange magic marker and colored the bulbs. -Because the concentric rings molded into the thick glass lenses make the bulbs a lot less unnoticeable, the only time the amber color shows is when the front turn signals are actually flashing.

Unfortunately, the commercially-available bulb adapters Lang's sells only fit the round-lens lamps on 1915 and subsequent-vintage Model T's. -For the earlier, rectangular-lens lamps, I suppose you could bend a wire coat-hanger into the correct, square-corner shape and use a Bernz-O-Matic propane torch to solder a bulb-socket to it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration