Champion "Ford" Spark plugs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Champion "Ford" Spark plugs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

I bought some Champion "Ford" spark plugs at Chickasha this month and wondered when these were used on Model T's. Are these the same as Champion X plugs?

Champion Plug 2

The two plugs on the right also appear to have a longer base than the others. Why the difference in length of the base? The thread size on top is the same on all 5 plugs.

I found several discussions on Champion X plugs but did not find one that included Champion "Ford" plugs. I probably did not put in the correct search criteria.

Thanks for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Yes, they're X, just labeled Ford for OEM use. The brass hat plugs with 8-32 thread started in the early to mid-twenties and are still made today. I don't know about the difference in length, but I suspect it may have something to do with car versus tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/36692.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/383523.html?1378080482

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/388541.html?1379302841

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

And if you want to make a 'long' Champion X shorter, then stack 'em over an empty base :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

The Ford Script Champion X Long plugs replaced the Champion X around 1925 in production. It extends further into the combustion chamber, and likely was part of the campaign against the effects of the lousy gas available in the mid - late 1920's.

Ford dealers sold those plugs for decades after the Model T went out of production. They are the best of the X plugs to use from my experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

And then there is always the Famous "Shameless Plug".

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/428675.html

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

Rich - Your work is amazing! Those plugs look like you just dragged a handful of old used spark plugs off of the shelf in the shed where they'd been laying for at least several years! If you ever have some sort of an "exhibition" of your work, I'd sure like to receive advanced notice of such an event, because I'd sure like to see it! (I have a grandson and great grand children in Idaho,....)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

Richard - This is too good not to pass on,......you'll get a kick out of this:

After I posted what I just wrote above, I handed my wife my laptop, making the comment to her,...."You gotta' see the kinda' work this Richard Eagle in Idaho does!"

Having about as much interest in such things as spark plugs as most women would have, she just glanced at it and said,........"yeah, he cleaned up some old spark plugs", as she handed my laptop back to me.

I said,....."no, you don't understand,......it's one of Rich's paintings!"

She replied,....."HUH? It is? WOW !!!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Thanks Harold. I do have fun with the paintings. As far as exhibition, I think I've posted all my T stuff here on the Forum. It looks as good or better on the screen that in person. This one was first posted in March of 2014. With plugs like the Champions, it's hard to go wrong.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

"Shameless"? I thought they were Champion "X" plugs.

I think someone missed a bet by not producing a "Shameless" plug. I would buy some.

Fantastic work Richard. I sure love the color and light in your images. That doesn't just happen by accident. You've got "it". Whatever "it" is, you've got it.

Dennis, the "Ford" script X plugs are one of my favorite. I like to set them up so the Ford script faces out when they are tightened into the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Erich, I think there was a plug using every word except "Shameless". Still, Champions and Splitdorf are my favorite.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

Can anyone identify this set of 4 blue plugs I also got at Chickasha?

Blue Plug
Blue Plug 3
Blue Plug 5

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 04:05 am:

Here are some links to my T plug images. Many Many

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/sets/72157645390421884/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/sets/72157638653764616/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 07:17 am:

The Champion Ford spark plugs were used in regular production and available for service by April 1922 (see service bulletin):

ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 07:56 am:

John - Thank you for that data point! It means the A15 short plug was replaced by the A25 X Long plug a couple years earlier than I had imagined.

Ford part number for the X plug changed to T1386 at some point, the examples of NOS boxes in my collection are from the 1940's era.

Trade publication showing Champion part numbers for the long and short X Plug:

This box is dated 1928 on the end flap:

Here is a later (1940's) box for the Ford script Champion X Long:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 09:00 am:

That is a very nice collection, Erich. And great photos. These photos and ads are wonderful reference.

I thought I would throw in these miniature plugs. Were they for model airplanes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

Richard - those mini's were also used on gas boat models, and the board track cars. I've seen some "Breisch" made scale model one-lung engine kits that used them too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

Thanks for the info Mark. They sure are cute.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration