Wood felloe wheels: The unobtainable part?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wood felloe wheels: The unobtainable part?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Today I started getting parts ready to assemble some new wheels. I have the right rims and hubs. New bolts, joining plates, and rivets are readily available. But apparently nobody is producing the metal part that goes around the valve stem. I looked through all my catalogues from Anderson to Snyder, and didn't see it anywhere. Anybody know of a source? Maybe this would be another good project for Randall, Bob, Glen, or one of the other parts makers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

make your own, copper tube. and flaring tool. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Steve, I'm confused. I thought you were going to
"pick your battles" and send your wood felloe wheels off to be redone professionally. Wouldn't the wheel rebuilder replace the stem grommet with a new one that he obtained or fabricated? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Yes; the wheel builder does this. At least Bill Calimer does.

The problem with making these and other parts is: which one do you make? The correct one to fit original stems, or a larger one made to accommodate today's large stems?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

That grommet comes with a new re-wooding job, part of the process for wood felloe.

Wheel by Anderson's Wood Wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

Very good. If they're installed at the wheel shop I won't worry about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

Stutzmann always installs new tubes that are big enough to fit today's metal valve stems. I think they are made from 5/8" OD copper tube, which has a hole inside about 1/2".

They are way too big for the original metal stems, but perfect for rubber stem tubes..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Royce - Between what you just said, and Charlie Shaver's idea in his post above, and, knowing Steve Jelf's ability as a "fabricator" (and photographer) I can see this thread becoming another lesson in do-it-yourself creativity!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

George Garrigan showed me how to do it on a lathe with copper tubing and a tool bit that flared the end. By moving the tool you got the correct shape. Probably the same as what Charlie does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

Here's a simple roll crimp tool I made for 9/16" tubing. It puts a roll flare on the tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

As I mentioned above, I'll let the wheel shop do it. But the comments about the new metal stems being too big made me curious. So I tried a new brass tube stem for fit in that original grommet shown in the first picture. It slips right in. No problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 08:06 am:

Here is a picture of Model T teens era valve stems. Front on the left, rear on the right:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration