Tool O.T. Best rotory dremel type shop tool

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tool O.T. Best rotory dremel type shop tool
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

I got my money's worth out of it, but I finally transformed my 30,000 RPM B&D roto tool into a zero RPM table ornament.

Best part is, now I get to buy a new one. What have people had good luck or bad luck with regarding the more heavy duty dremel type tools?

The thing that really killed off the last one was repeated load/drag (I worked it to hard). It caused heating up and eventually I pushed it to far.

What do you recommend?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

I have a Sears die grinder I bought in 1957 and I still use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Bob, I bet they don't make the 2015 version quite as fine quality as the 1957 version you have.

Anyone have info on current marketplace options?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Yeah, Erich...I think stuff is designed now to only last 50 hrs or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Burg on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Erich,
I have had good luck with this one..

http://shop.prox-tech.com/c/hand-held-power-tools-115-v_professional-rotary-tool -ibs-e

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

Years ago when I had the sign business we used little grinders a lot. After paying big bucks for a Dremel I found I could go to the Sears repair shop and buy rebuilt used Craftsman grinders for a fraction of the cost. At that time they were about $20. I haven't priced them for many years, but even if the price has doubled by now, I think they're still a good deal. I use several with different tools in them so I don't have to keep changing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

I have 2 Ryobi's and a couple dremels. The dremel i bought new in a big grey case back in about 09 or so is a radical design change and I dont use it.Dont like it.
The Ryobi's work very well and I wear the chucks out on them first. My first Dremel I had to repack the bearings twice in it and used it until the armature burned out.
Without a dremel,alot of my projects would not happen as easy.

I do know that Harbor frieght sells similar tools but I dont think they can take the strain.
They sell a mini bench grinder with a flex shaft attachment that can be used like a dremel.

My neighbor used to work for a company that made dental equipment. He has a couple dentist tools modified somehow for small work.
Wood carvers use a tool called a Fordum or Fordam? "spelling" .It is a large tool that hangs from a ceiling hook and has a flex shaft. it can work metal with the right bits.The 1's I watch folks use at a wood carving class are tough and long lasting..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 12:08 am:

I think Dumores are more heavy duty, and more money.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 12:24 am:

Dremel is the way to go. They are durable and get the job done, but like any tool, if you run it until it is too hot to touch, it will have a short life. If you are hard on your Dremel and it burns up sooner than later, next time you buy one at Home Depot or Lowes, get the warranty they offer at the register. It costs only a few dollars and they will give you a new one if you burn out the one you bought the warranty on. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 09:01 am:

The Foredom tool Mack mentioned is really good. In addition to having a powerful and durable power unit, you only hold a hand piece so you can work longer with old arthritic hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 09:12 am:

The Foredom that Mack mentioned is a good tool. In addition to a powerful and durable motor, you have the advantage of working with a smaller tool holder which is good for old arthritic hands. The flex cable however can be somewhat restrictive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 09:42 am:

B&D's quality has been variable over the years but recently seems to be much better.

I just bought a B&D "dremel" type tool and have been very pleased with it. Appears it will last a long time. Lever locking collet, and 3 speeds. It's advertised as 3 speeds but what it really means is that it has 3 detents, speed is infinitely adjustable. Amazon $29.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Wow, That Dumore looks like a heck of a tool. May be more than I need for the shopwork I do. The B&D lasted a long time for me. Dremel gets good reviews for the price. That Proxxon seems nice. The Foredom has a good reputation and lots of power but will the flex shaft bug me by hindering portability and use?

Still thinking this one over.

Good thinking Jim Patrick, I usually don't buy the extra insurance at the register, but it may be worth a look.

Any more thoughts or experiences?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

Dremel is still American made, all others I have found including the Sears one are now Mao Made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Stan,
Dumore is also American-made. They're pretty proud of that (and should be!)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration