The Vagabonds

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The Vagabonds
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

I just read an article in the magazine "Adirondack Life". Don't laugh since it is the July/ August issue. The article mentions a trail in 1914 that started in Orange, NJ came up through the Catskills and into the Adirondack
mountains in Eastern. It mentions Ford, Edison
and John Burroughs, and shows a picture of Harvey Firestone sitting on the running board of either a 1914 or possibly a 1915 T. I am trying to acquire a copy of the photograph. Also mentioned was the Ford Camping Cars that Henry had built.
Are there any photos of them. BTW John Burroughs,
said that when Edison was driving he never stayed on the good roads.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 02:09 pm:

Hi John - The vacation trips that the "Vagabonds" took are well known and many articles and photos about them are available.

There must be several sources for pictures of the Vagabonds. I would try The Henry Ford Museum and the Benson Ford Archives.

I just went on Google and entered The Vagabonds (didn't use quote marks) and up came lots of information and pictures.

I would have copied one of the pictures here but couldn't get it to work.

We even saw a play several years ago about them titled "Camping with Henry and Tom" BTW, it was a great play, both from the information given and the entertainment factor.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

Keith
I did google and only looked at one entry. Eventually I would have gotten around to all the write ups. You are correct about some of the photos, they do not copy well. Now on to my next bit of research, " The great Peshtago Forrest fire, Nothing to do with a Ford.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

Hi John - I've been to Peshtigo, WI (note the spelling)several times.

Concerning Peshtigo, you should know that there's a museum there dedicated to the huge fire they had back in the 1800's that was on the same day as the great Chicago fire, and also to the local area history.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

You can see pictures of Ford, Burroughs and Edison here on post #7:
http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/1119-Th-1914-Model-T

John Burroughs can be seen here in the first post:
http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/1127-The-1913-Model-T/page2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Thomas Edison is seen with his 1916 Model T here at post #8:
http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/1201-The-1916-Model-T-Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

PBS did an "American Experience" episode on the vagabonds:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/bonus-video/henryford-campin g/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

Visited the Ford and Edison winter estate in Fort Myers, FL. last month. Edison's car is on display along with a Ford Roadster Chuck Wagon that was used on their camping trips. They have a lot of the camp pictures along with some of their camping gear on display.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration